SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By Eagletommy52
Paulito240 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 am This is where I think SparkFun could really shine. Artemis with BLE 5.0 and a tutorial on how to do I/O with Xcode (iOS) and Android would really be a great addition and we would use this platform for all of our IoT products.

I encourage you to continue development in this direction. It would be a great addition and fill a gap that is vague in developing IoT platforms.
+1 SPE and is doing god's work building packages and writing drivers for their solutions but getting this just a few inches further across the finish line would make this package so much easier to drop into other applications
By n1xnxham
I'm just starting work on a robotics project intended to use the RedBoard Artemis Nano with a Bluetooth control link to an Android app, probably written using the MIT AppInventor. The Bluetooth link is the only part of this that I'm not up to speed on. The intended control interface is a very simple bidirectional command/response set, with a pair of speed commands for wheel motors.

What's the latest state of development of BT support for this board in the Arduino IDE, and its prospects for actually existing?
Am I better off giving up on the Arduino IDE for this task and using the Ambiq SDK instead?

I greatly appreciate all the obvious hard work that's being put into supporting this chipset.
By liquid.soulder
All of the AmbiqSuite SDK HAL (2.4.2) layer functionality is available directly through the Arduino IDE when compiling for Artemis / Apollo3.

Check out this topic for low-power info: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=50904

As an update about BLE - this continues to be our main focus. We are getting closer to using mbed to align with the ArduinoBLE api.
https://github.com/sparkfun/mbed-os-ambiq-apollo3
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/ArduinoBLE
By n1xnxham
Thanks for the information. If I understand the situation correctly, all those Ambiq HAL functions are available out-of-the-box now that I've installed the Apollo3 Arduino core in my IDE. From there, I should be able to use the SDK HAL functions (including BLE support) from within the Arduino IDE. (Warnings about the complexity of dealing with Bluetooth comms are herewith taken on board.)
I think I'm going to implement the rest of my I/O functionality and get the core running before I try to add BLE comms. That should also give me a good sense of whether to use the Arduino IDE or jump straight to using the SDK in its native form. There's nothing like a set of well-bruised knuckles to give one a sense of what wrench to reach for...
By fe7565
Wondering, if there is a working Arduino BLE example yet for the Artemis. Been holding off since October. I just checked the above posted links and did not see BLE yet under the Arduino section of github. Did I miss anything?
By liquid.soulder
Thanks for asking! There is one example right now - look in Examples -> Artemis Examples -> Advanced -> Example8_BLE_LED

We are working on enabling more BLE functionality and will notify everyone when it is ready
By sebbad
Hi. I am new to the Artemis and as many seemed to end up trying to get BLE working. I understand you guys are working hard on a unified library for the Arduino environment, thanks for that.

As you mentioned before, the HAL functions can be used in Arduino. Would it be possible to provide an example (Arduino sketch) of an Artemis periodically transmitting some simple data (for example sensor reading), maybe as a beacon? I have seen there are a number of examples in the SDK, but they seem overly complex and are intended for the official development boards.

Thanks again for your efforts.
By liquid.soulder
Hi sebbad. Right now we do not have an example of that nature in the Arduino environment. There are, however, several places to look for guidance.

https://github.com/paulvha/apollo3/tree ... tp_arduino
https://github.com/paulvha/apollo3
https://github.com/sparkfun/AmbiqSuiteS ... b/examples

Some of those resources may require you to use Make and your own installation of the ARM cross compiler (arm-none-eabi)

I can't create an example like you are asking about for use in Arduino because it would delay the release of the general library (which would support the same thing) and the development efforts would be aimed in a very different direction.
By jerryy1235
Hi liquid.soulder, just a follow-up on this topic. Are you close to release the Arduino lib for BLE on the Artemis? Do you have a timeline for it? I'm working on a project and really looking forward to having this available soon. Thank you.
By liquid.soulder
We are close. We are building BLE support by supporting mbed-os. You can see our latest work on that here: https://github.com/sparkfun/mbed-os-amb ... -apollo3-2

Shortly after that is complete we are planning to release a new version of the Arduino core that is based on mbed so you will have multi-threaded operation as well as BLE.
By BrandonV
I have loaded and ran the Example8_BLE_LED on my Artemis Nano with success. Now I need to develop the BLE services and characteristics for our project. I do not see where I can change the current UUID or services being advertised.

Can you point me to the files that hold this information or an estimated release timeline of libraries that will make this possible?

I have designed a new pcb for our product that uses the Artemis module to perform the BLE communications. Not having the ability to edit the BLE capabilities is now on the critical pathway for our product launch. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciatted!
By paulvha
hi I have done work on the BLE before and created server and client exchange on Artemis and a client that runs on Linux to the Artemis server. Liquid.solder had share the links before on May 11
The UUID is defined in nus_main.c around line 210.
Drop me an personal message. Maybe I can help to save you time
By BrandonV
Thank you paulvh! I overlooked that post. I'll dive into your examples and reach out if I have any questions.
By antelopeb
Hello! Just getting started with Artemis and BLE. Any updates on support for the Arduino BLE? I tried uploading a sample sketch and I am getting an MbedOS hard fault... so when I found this, I assume it is because it is not fully supported yet?

Thanks!
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum