SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By branchus
Hi

Just got Redboard Artemis ATP, and using it with Arduino IDE. I found the compile speed is really slow.

To compile and upload the blink sample took more than 10 seconds, is this normal?

Is there a way to improve this?

Thanks
By branchus
Thank you for the response.

I understand the IDE is Java, but C compiler should not be that slow, is the IDE doing some unnecessary work behind?

Is the upcoming new IDE (using CLI behind) speed up this process?

Thanks
By SV-Zanshin
If you turn on verbose output (file->Preferences, set both verbose compile and upload) you can see what is happening under the covers. I've downloaded the Beta IDE and haven't noticed a difference in speed, but I mainly use Visual Studio with the Visual Micro extension for development work.
By jremington
It will be faster the second time you compile, as the first time around, the entire Arduino core has to be compiled and cached.

A 10 second wait does not seem all that onerous to me.
By adam.g
Are you using v2.x of the Apollo3 Core? I've found that compiling times are significantly slower with v2.x compared to v1.x in the Arduino IDE. Mbed OS really seems to make things sluggish.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum