Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderators: phalanx, robacarp

Is it fair that only US citizens can sell PCB's?

No
7
47%
Not sure
1
7%
Yes
7
47%
 
Total votes: 15

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:08 pm

I see the sell section is available to US citizens only?
Very unfair. Us Norwegians should be allowed to play too!

I have PayPal so I don't see why I can't sell.

Mudo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by Mudo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:42 am

...

Maybe it is time to make bigger sparkfun!

Here in Europe are few people interested on create sparkfun.euro (not an alternative, a partnershiping!)

:mrgreen:

...
...
I'm searching new forms of HUI interact...
Please if any I post is interesting to you, send me an email.

I ever answer.

Mudo means Mute person.

...

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Oh, and the poll doesn't work...

Roko
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Contact:

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by Roko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Polls are only available to US citizens. :P
My Current Projects:
[url=http://roko.ca/category/robotics/quadruped-robotics]12 Degree of Freedom Quadrupedal Walking Robot[/url]
[url=http://roko.ca/category/robotics/mini-sumo-v6]Mini Sumo Robot![/url]

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Roko wrote:Polls are only available to US citizens. :P
Hehe!

Well, it's sad really.
I've been working really hard on this logger.
It's intended for model planes, cars and boats but it can be used for other stuff as well.

It records voltage, current and amps to onboard eeprom. 32000 samples worth at a user selectable rate.
It uses a hall-sensor in a slotted toroid for current sensing allowing it to handle a lot of amps. (around 180 amps max...)
(But, it can be set more sensitive for max of 60, 30, 15, 7.5 A etc...)

Measures only 1x1.5" and would cost $3.61 to order.
Attachments
ulog_2.02_pcb_bot.png
µLog 2.02 PCB bottom view
ulog_2.02_pcb_bot.png (13.11 KiB) Viewed 9685 times
ulog_2.02_pcb_top.png
µLog 2.02 PCB top view
ulog_2.02_pcb_top.png (21.17 KiB) Viewed 9685 times

sylvie369
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:27 am

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by sylvie369 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:20 pm

KreAture wrote:Measures only 1x1.5" and would cost $3.61 to order.
1x1.5" ? I thought you non-US Citizens used the metric system. :|

Try changing it to millimeters (or whatever they're called), and see if they'll let you sell it then.

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:54 pm

sylvie369 wrote:
KreAture wrote:Measures only 1x1.5" and would cost $3.61 to order.
1x1.5" ? I thought you non-US Citizens used the metric system. :|

Try changing it to millimeters (or whatever they're called), and see if they'll let you sell it then.
When I type english I use inches. Also, that is what sparkfun charges by (square inches).

Atleast I placed my order. Now I just need to wait.

Roko
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Contact:

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by Roko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:56 pm

sylvie369 wrote: 1x1.5" ? I thought you non-US Citizens used the metric system. :|
Nah, we just know how to use both systems ;)

KreAture,

If I was a betting man, it's probably only US for now due to some sort of regulatory issues, be it taxation, duties, or whatever, that SF doesn't want to deal with.
My Current Projects:
[url=http://roko.ca/category/robotics/quadruped-robotics]12 Degree of Freedom Quadrupedal Walking Robot[/url]
[url=http://roko.ca/category/robotics/mini-sumo-v6]Mini Sumo Robot![/url]

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Roko wrote:
sylvie369 wrote: 1x1.5" ? I thought you non-US Citizens used the metric system. :|
Nah, we just know how to use both systems ;)

KreAture,

If I was a betting man, it's probably only US for now due to some sort of regulatory issues, be it taxation, duties, or whatever, that SF doesn't want to deal with.
So... I need a shell in the US then :)

Attached is my TCM8230MD breakout board with 3 seperate regulators.
Attachments
tcm8230md_breakout_2.01_pcb_top.png
tcm8230md_breakout_2.01_pcb_top.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 9677 times
tcm8230md_breakout_2.01_pcb_bot.png
tcm8230md_breakout_2.01_pcb_bot.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 9677 times

Roko
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Contact:

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by Roko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Hehe, and here I've been designing my own TCM8230 breakout board like a sucker.. :P
My Current Projects:
[url=http://roko.ca/category/robotics/quadruped-robotics]12 Degree of Freedom Quadrupedal Walking Robot[/url]
[url=http://roko.ca/category/robotics/mini-sumo-v6]Mini Sumo Robot![/url]

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:55 am

Roko wrote:Hehe, and here I've been designing my own TCM8230 breakout board like a sucker.. :P
Well. I can't sell it so you might as well.
The price is the same btwregardless if you order someone elses design or your own... (Good deal Sparkfun!)

Applekid
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:08 am

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by Applekid » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:30 am

What I don't understand is why you have to file that tax form and be in the US even if you're not trying to let people order your design at cost (or, well, at cost to designing the same thing in the same shape and uploading it yourself).

The first improvements to public designs I would have made is fixing the back button behavior and encouraging people to upload documentation like BOM and instructions. There were a lot of interesting looking boards (eh, I really like artwork) that the uploaders just clicked "share" but didn't document anything about them.

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 am

Applekid wrote:What I don't understand is why you have to file that tax form and be in the US even if you're not trying to let people order your design at cost (or, well, at cost to designing the same thing in the same shape and uploading it yourself).

The first improvements to public designs I would have made is fixing the back button behavior and encouraging people to upload documentation like BOM and instructions. There were a lot of interesting looking boards (eh, I really like artwork) that the uploaders just clicked "share" but didn't document anything about them.
Agreed!
If you share the PCB you should also share the BOM and schematic.
If there is source code to program the board, it should be there too.

Once I am done with verifying my logger, I think I will make it available if I can sell the pcb.

SpikedCola
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:51 pm
Location: North York, Ontario

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by SpikedCola » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 am

It's all taxes. Its very easy to sell something within your own country, but as soon as you go international its a whole different can of worms. So it looks like its only going to be open to US residents, at least for now.

KreAture
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Unfair! I want to sell PCB's too!

Post by KreAture » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:44 am

But international customers can order.
Thus they are selling internationally.

This isn't about selling, it's about paying royaltys/licencing for other peoples work.

Locked