SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderator: robacarp

By Caffeine
Just put in another design called 'Puck'

It's come up as 8 square inches, when in fact it's less than 3.
By asm2750
I noticed when includeing the dimesion layer in the top and bottom silkscreen my board would come up with the correct board area. Try that if you are using eagle.
By Caffeine
asm2750 wrote:I noticed when includeing the dimesion layer in the top and bottom silkscreen my board would come up with the correct board area. Try that if you are using eagle.
Nope, Protel DXP 2004. All my other boards are coming up with the same area so not sure what's going on there...
By roach
Caffeine wrote:Nope, Protel DXP 2004. All my other boards are coming up with the same area so not sure what's going on there...
Have you tried loading the design into ViewMate (or GerbView, or whatever)? Chance are the drill file is the problem (make sure you are using 2.3 format, w/ LZ suppression).
By NleahciM
hmm submitted the zip that was the last board I had sparkfun make. batchpcb not only got the size wrong (5in^2 instead of 3 in^2) it also said it violated the 8mil rule. (it doesn't - not only was sparkfun able to make it without any problems it also passes Eagle's DRC)

Design was called m162 if you want to take a look at it.

edit: I was just using that to test the service - That is an outdated design for that project and so I don't need it.
By pittuck
the size problem could be for many reasons, are there overhanging components?

I am having trouble keeping up with viewing files (the identifying / downloading / viewing / measureing / replying while i am very busy) so if we cant sort it here, i will find the file.

Also, what was the error? in a ground pour / fill? the images in the email should show u the problem
By roach
I've noticed (in EAGLE), if you attempt to write "Vector"-type text onto a pour layer (ie: Top or Bottom), the EAGLE DRC will "know" that it is text, but the BatchPCB checker will just see it as traces. It is very easy for this type of text to violate the 8 mil rule...
By sparky
Nleah -

The DRC bot is pretty stupid and is meant to filter out *A LOT* of designs.

We let all sorts of stuff slide in the past due to labor constraints. Something that may have snuck through last time may not pass now.

Don't worry. We don't make your board until you pay us ;) We're already seeing 20-30 DRC hits per day just from people checking designs - I love it!

I'll check the size problem.

Caffeiene - you're using protel. Turn on all your layers. You'll see a huge dimensional layer pop up with ruler ticks and all sorts of stuff. This may be what's getting through to the size script. Get Viewmate and pre-inspect your design.

I just checked your Retry2 and it sized perfectly at 15.94 sq inch.

-Nathan
By NleahciM
pittuck wrote:the size problem could be for many reasons, are there overhanging components?

I am having trouble keeping up with viewing files (the identifying / downloading / viewing / measureing / replying while i am very busy) so if we cant sort it here, i will find the file.

Also, what was the error? in a ground pour / fill? the images in the email should show u the problem
The error was "Unfortunately your design (m162) violates our design rules of 8mil traces with 8mil spacing. Your design has now been deleted.
Top DRC Errors: 0 Bottom DRC Errors: 124"

It didn't seem to like the ground plane - which has a spacing of 8mil. I'm running an 8mil drc check and it passes with flying colors. Problems on your end.

Some of the silkscreen goes past the board edge - but no actual components/traces/copper are outside of the border edge.
By donblake
I've submitted a design several times over the last few days and have received no email from BatchPCB.com. I've checked my email address - it's correct - it also hasn't changed since the beta testing was first begun.

Don
By NleahciM
donblake wrote:I've submitted a design several times over the last few days and have received no email from BatchPCB.com. I've checked my email address - it's correct - it also hasn't changed since the beta testing was first begun.

Don
if you're using hotmail - it treats them as spam...
By sparky
Spam email - good to know!

Gerbers get translated in all sorts of ways. Using Protel DRC - our inhouse designs will pass with flying colors. Once we open the same design under Protel->Camtastic, it fails DRC. I cannot explain it. Our process is not going to be for everyone but it is what we've got to keep in place.

-Nathan
By Caffeine
sparky wrote:Caffeiene - you're using protel. Turn on all your layers. You'll see a huge dimensional layer pop up with ruler ticks and all sorts of stuff. This may be what's getting through to the size script. Get Viewmate and pre-inspect your design.

I just checked your Retry2 and it sized perfectly at 15.94 sq inch.

-Nathan
Yep, retry2 works perfectly. The problems I'm having at the moment are with 'Puck', which works out at 8 square inches when in fact it's less than 3. The images below are from protel and then the gerbers in camtastic. I've turned on all layers, even the disabled ones. It's a very simple board. I'm not looking at getting it made yet, but I thought I'd bounce it off the bot to see how it looks. I figure it maybe useful for you guys to squash some bugs too.

Protel : Image

Camtastic : Image

The other error I'm seeing is with Dakiller_1, the bot times out after specifying the layers (30 second timeout exceeded) I've mentioned this one before, and it's a board I will be ordering as soon as I can get it past the bot.
By asm2750
NleahciM wrote:
pittuck wrote:the size problem could be for many reasons, are there overhanging components?

The error was "Unfortunately your design (m162) violates our design rules of 8mil traces with 8mil spacing. Your design has now been deleted.
Top DRC Errors: 0 Bottom DRC Errors: 124"

It didn't seem to like the ground plane - which has a spacing of 8mil. I'm running an 8mil drc check and it passes with flying colors. Problems on your end.

Some of the silkscreen goes past the board edge - but no actual components/traces/copper are outside of the border edge.
Try your groundplane with a spaceing of 14 or 12 mil, that usually lets the bot pass it as a valid design.