SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderator: robacarp

By pittuck
:cry:

lol- i was only out for an evening (well got back in the morning)

soo much changed, well done nathan!

[hehe]Nathan dont like my code without comments[/hehe]

I have 6 hours of lab work today, after that i might have a look @ stuff, depends if i am asleep or not...
By Caffeine
sparky wrote: Caffeine has the evil design for the evening - size of 15940056 sq inches...

-Nathan
Woohoo! I win! :D 8)

Great job to Sparkfun, the automated process makes things so easy!

Now if we could just have a cookie set so we don't have to log in everytime I'd be a very happy man :)
By GeekHollow
sparky wrote:Sounds like the bot is doing exactly what it should ;)
Methinks me said that :D
It's up to you to trim off anything you don't want to take up space.
This is what concerned me. Eagle makes this damn near impossible to do - you would practically have to design a new part to have the outline terminate at the edge (unless you wanted no part outlines at all - for any part). BUT! After running the silk-gen.ulp all silk screen entities are individual wires - this is now trivial to edit.

So the process is: Design board. Run silk-gen.ulp. Edit result to clip at the board edge. Export board. Submit, etc.

Now if we just had accurate shipping prices to select from I'd be ready to order... :twisted:

Oh, and as long as I'm wishing, two lines for address would be nice - makes for shipping to the office a bit easier to understand.
Caffeine has the evil design for the evening - size of 15940056 sq inches...
111,000 Square Feet? Man, what are you doing? A discrete transister version of a P4? :shock:

Jerry
By Philba
GeekHollow wrote:
This is what concerned me. Eagle makes this damn near impossible to do - you would practically have to design a new part to have the outline terminate at the edge (unless you wanted no part outlines at all - for any part). BUT! After running the silk-gen.ulp all silk screen entities are individual wires - this is now trivial to edit.

So the process is: Design board. Run silk-gen.ulp. Edit result to clip at the board edge. Export board. Submit, etc.

Jerry
I'm not at all sure why you think eagle makes this near impossible. If you said "eagle libraries are messed up", I'd agree but there is nothing impossible about it. The library editor is your friend and not that hard to use. Frankly, using library parts without a fair amount of verification is asking for trouble - there are frequent errors.

When it comes to connectors, I usually draw my own after a caliper session with the actual part (even after one with the data sheet). I place the silk screen lines in the tplace layer and all others in the tdoc layer. In particular, the dsub mini parts that extend from the board go in the tdoc layer. Thus, when silk_gen copies the tplace layer to the tsilk layer, all the lines stay inside the board rectangle.

Even if I use the library parts that are tdoc/tplace messed up, I copy the part to a library of my own and change the layers (to tdoc) for the lines that extend from the board. It's pretty easy to do and takes literally a couple of minutes.

Phil
By pittuck
GeekHollow wrote:

Now if we just had accurate shipping prices to select from I'd be ready to order... :twisted:

Oh, and as long as I'm wishing, two lines for address would be nice - makes for shipping to the office a bit easier to understand.
Caffeine has the evil design for the evening - size of 15940056 sq inches...
111,000 Square Feet? Man, what are you doing? A discrete transister version of a P4? :shock:

Jerry
whats wrong with the shipping prices?
By amcfall
Shipping is high since the handling fee is added to the shipping charge. That is just the way it is from what I understand, the fee is per order.

Avery
By GeekHollow
Ok, I wondered if that was the case - it's just that Nathan mentioned in a different thread yesterday that he was working on the shipping cost calculator.

It makes much better sense now. I did notice that the $10 wasn't being added to the board price, but was expecting it as a separate charge from the shipping. It might not hurt to make that a little clearer on the page.

Anyway, I'm off to finish that order!

Jerry
By sparky
It's a go speed racer.

-Nathan