SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderator: robacarp

By NleahciM
GeekHollow wrote:Looks like the new pricing works in your favor if you've got more than 4 square inches. I don't see this as a negative - especially seeing as I've got a couple of 6-8 inchers waiting to go!

Jerry
before: 4 inches^2 = 4*2.50 = $10
now: 4 inches^2 = $10 = 4*2.50 = $20

The only way I see this new pricing scheme working in 'your' favor is if you work for sparkfun.
By pittuck
ok, well the rest of the work i need to have nathans input, launch is close (i did not know when they were moving when i said friday launch, canny launch with half the system in a removal truck).

Anyhow, I am out tonight (well 100yards away from my laptop in the hall bar, karake...)

[my hair is blue!]

gotta have a good night, lots of work tomorrow... lol. We are nearly there!!!!
By Philba
It never ceases to amaze me how people see the glass as half empty. Like everyone else, I want cheap PCBs but I also respect a businessman's need to make a profit. If you go shop around, I think you will find that is a very reasonable deal, even at $10 setup + 2.50 per sqin.

The reality is that most places want to get at least $50 out of you. some will give you more boards (but quote the single board price) or a bigger board but try to find a 4 sqin board for less than $20. bon chance, bebe!
By GeekHollow

The only way I see this new pricing scheme working in 'your' favor is if you work for sparkfun.
Actually, I was using $5 per inch which would of course give you $20 for 4.

Anyway, I agree with Philba. Nathan's made it pretty clear that they weren't making much (if any) money on this deal. If this lets them keep it around so that I can make decent quality boards, so be it!

Jerry
By NleahciM
GeekHollow wrote:

Actually, I was using $5 per inch which would of course give you $20 for 4.

Anyway, I agree with Philba. Nathan's made it pretty clear that they weren't making much (if any) money on this deal. If this lets them keep it around so that I can make decent quality boards, so be it!

Jerry
Yes I'm aware you were incorrectly using the $5.00 price.

The nice thing about spark fun has been that I can get *small* boards for very cheap. For larger boards even at $2.50/in^2 spark fun has never been competitive with Olimex or Advanced Circuits, at least from a student's perspective.

My point is this: we've been told for the last couple weeks how great this new system is going to be - and as far as I can tell - the only changes to the system are a new pricing scheme and a new more comprehensive automated board checking system. Since I already was getting boards at the $2.50 price and I had no problems making proper boards - I feel like I'm getting screwed.
By roycearnold
Philba/GeekHollow,

I agree with you.

Some people just don't seem to get that a business is being run and if you constantly run it in a loss situation, then eventually you have no business. I think it has been great that SFE has run the PCB services as cheap as it is for so long. There is no way that they could be making money under the old system when someone orders a single 1 in sq board.

NleahciM,

Sorry you feel you are being screwed, but how screwed would you be if they just stopped the service completely? If you read around the forum, I believe the guy handling the pcb service left. Pittuck has been working/helping to revive the service with better handling of submission to cut down on the labor involved. My last words to you on this are: You are the consumer, if you are not happy with the service, you always have the option of shopping elsewhere. Of course, where else can you go to get a custom pcb at even close to the new prices?

Pittuck,

Sorry that my last message sparked the discussion that it did. I've editted the message to remove the exact URL. Enjoy the night off. I look forward to the site being back up. I'll try to throw a few more boards at it and report back if there are any problems. Thanks.

RA
By NleahciM
roycearnold wrote:NleahciM,

Sorry you feel you are being screwed, but how screwed would you be if they just stopped the service completely? If you read around the forum, I believe the guy handling the pcb service left. Pittuck has been working/helping to revive the service with better handling of submission to cut down on the labor involved. My last words to you on this are: You are the consumer, if you are not happy with the service, you always have the option of shopping elsewhere. Of course, where else can you go to get a custom pcb at even close to the new prices?
Oh I get it now - since the new system is going to cut down on the labor involved - the most expensive part of the PCB making process - they're going to raise their prices (3 fold for most of my boards). Makes perfect sense.

Wait...

I think I'll probabaly be buying more boards from 4pcb.com now - much better turnaround time anyways, and I'll be supporting an American company too so I'll feel better about myself. (yes I know SFE is USA based - but the boards are being made out of the country) It will be slightly more expensive for boards under 8in^2 - but the turnaround time makes up for that. (note: I don't think it's bad mentioning them here as it was an employee of sparkfun that first turned me on to them - and also the deal that I plan on using is only available to students)

Have we been told why we're getting charged so much more? I had assumed that this new system was going to *lower* costs...

Sorry if I sound irritated - I just had really liked the old SFE PCB service.
By Coriolis
NleahciM, I feel your pain, I slaved over a breakoutboard for 3 weeks to get it at a $5 price (1 sqin), only to find that If I had kept it under 2 sqin like was originally designed and submitted under the old price would have been $10, now because of the extra effort, the 1 sqin board will cost me $12.50. But thats just the breaks. My biggest lament is that we are now 5 weeks + and we're still hearing "One more week" (after an original 3 week estimation), again something I understand according to the addage: "Take how long you think it will take and add 50%". Now I know why some companies refuse to post ETAs for products and services, it tends to create friction with customers when the date slips.

This isn't a crack on SFE's service, its still a deal, now especially for mid sized boards. I just wish I submited the current board under the old system.

And unless you struck a deal with SFE, $2.50/sqin boards haven't been availible for many moons. Its been $5/sqin since this spring.
Last edited by Coriolis on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Philba
yeah, that's a good idea, 4pcb - one 8" sq board with 3 day delivery is $100. That's the cheapest I could find for proto quantity. Heck, a single 1" sq board from them is $60. Show me where I can get 1 8" sq board for less than $30. Yeah, if I buy 10 of them, it's $14 each but total outlay is 140 plus shipping.

Sorry for coming off harsh but I think you are blowing smoke and letting your emotions guide your actions. By the way, I don't think the above numbers include solder mask and silk screen. You can get much better deals elsewhere than 4PCB (which is really advanced circuits).

If I were you I'd make up a list of potential suppliers and get proto board quotes from them. Don't forget to look at shipping costs, especially for the foreign suppliers. I've done this and I think you will have a new respect for the offering here.

Phil
By NleahciM
Philba wrote:yeah, that's a good idea, 4pcb - one 8" sq board with 3 day delivery is $100. That's the cheapest I could find for proto quantity. Heck, a single 1" sq board from them is $60. Show me where I can get 1 8" sq board for less than $30. Yeah, if I buy 10 of them, it's $14 each but total outlay is 140 plus shipping.

Sorry for coming off harsh but I think you are blowing smoke and letting your emotions guide your actions. By the way, I don't think the above numbers include solder mask and silk screen. You can get much better deals elsewhere than 4PCB (which is really advanced circuits).

If I were you I'd make up a list of potential suppliers and get proto board quotes from them. Don't forget to look at shipping costs, especially for the foreign suppliers. I've done this and I think you will have a new respect for the offering here.

Phil
Look at the "$33 each" deal:
http://www.4pcb.com/leadfree_stencils_e ... rogram.htm

Like I said - students only. For really small boards SFE still gives a better price (under about 8-10 inches^2 - depending on shipping) though 4pcb is much faster. But above that cut off 4PCB is a better deal. Again - students only.
By NleahciM
Coriolis wrote:NleahciM, I feel your pain, I slaved over a breakoutboard for 3 weeks to get it at a $5 price (1 sqin), only to find that If I had kept it under 2 sqin like was originally designed and submitted under the old price would have been $10, now because of the extra effort, the 1 sqin board will cost me $12.50. But thats just the breaks. My biggest lament is that we are now 5 weeks + and we're still hearing "One more week" (after an original 3 week estimation), again something I understand according to the addage: "Take how long you think it will take and add 50%". Now I know why some companies refuse to post ETAs for products and services, it tends to create friction with customers when the date slips.

This isn't a crack on SFE's service, its still a deal, now especially for mid sized boards. I just wish I submited the current board under the old system.

And unless you struck a deal with SFE, $2.50/sqin boards haven't been availible for many moons. Its been $5/sqin since this spring.
The $2.50 price has continued to be available to everybody that had successfully submitted a pcb order correctly.
By pittuck
Well thats fine if ur an EE student, i am doing an EEish degree, but that makes 2 out of 1355 registered users.

Remember, its only $10 extra per order. i assume u are living at a uni? in which case you will be working on more than one project?

Take into account postage et al and if u order 3 or 4 boards its still cheaper. (making a $2.50 premium on each board).

For what you get the price is great, sparkfun is able to stay in business and (nearly) everyone is happy.
By asm2750
Im going for a computer engineering degree, but i dont live on campus, so obtaining that 33 dollar deal at AC is too troublesome. Besides most board houses are expensive regardless. I've only seen two places includeing sparkfun that have pretty decent PCB deals that I can afford.
By One~Zero
I would have to somewhat agree with NleahciM. I ordered 6 boards (2 each of 3 designs) under the old system for the $2.50/in^2 and paid for it as such. Then, I get an email saying that I miscalculated the price when I ordered the boards, and now owe another $50 before my boards can be shipped. That more than doubled the price of my order. I can understand needing to make a profit. But at the very least, boards that were ordered under the old system should have kept those prices as I wasn't made aware of newer pricing until I saw it in the forums.
By the way, is the new system up? If so, where is the link to the site?
By Caffeine
Congrats on the move SparkFun.

So which one's your car Nathan?