SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderator: robacarp

By eoasap
does anyone know how to convert an eagle library to protel? thanks in advance!
By MGP
Learn how to use the Protel library editor. It's extremely powerful and easy to use. I create a couple new components, on average, for each new design I do. It usually takes only 10-15 minutes to do a complete component once you are "up the learning curve". Most of the time spent on my components is with mechanical layer details for my assembly drawings as I include everything I need for a detailed assembly drawing (leads, component body, orientation markings, etc.)
By eoasap
well have been practicing making parts, but am a little worried i'm reading the datasheet wrong with the measurements and will produce a useless board.
By spamiam
eoasap wrote:well have been practicing making parts, but am a little worried i'm reading the datasheet wrong with the measurements and will produce a useless board.
Well, I also have these qualms. The solution, in part, is to have the actual part in front of you to check that the measurement you are reading is actually the measurement you think you are getting.

Then, do the payout and print it at 100% scale. Then check the pads/holes with the actual part and see how it matches.

For DIP types this is usually not a problem. For surface mount, then it MIGHT be an issue. I have seen a few variants of the SOIC specs, but most are so similar that the usual pad size gives ample space for a slightly smaller/larger variant.

I have just barely made do in one case using a significantly wider package on the standard SOIC pads. I could JUST get it to fit. I needed to solder the part to a SMT to DIP adapter. It worked., but I needed to get the solder behind the legs of the SMT device to get it to be secure.

So, lay it out and compare it to the real thing.

-Tony
By eoasap
excellent idea. i just did exactly what you said and my footprint is fine. also was able to create a pin header exactly as i wanted also. thank you!
By donblake
spamiam wrote:Then, do the payout and print it at 100% scale. Then check the pads/holes with the actual part and see how it matches.
In addition to this, I mount the print out on a piece of 1/4" foam craft board with sticky backing. For pin and hole parts, I poke a hole through the foam board and place the part in the holes. This way, you can also check for interference between parts. Even doing all this, I still get surprised every once in a while.

Don
By Philba
also, I'd not put too much reliance on eagle part pad layouts. They have been known to be incorrect at times. I had a problem with an SOIC/W vs SOIC the parts were mixed up and I got a W instead of the normal narrow one. Luckily I was able to make it work but just barely. If it had been the other way around, it would have had to chuck the board or buy a new part.
By spamiam
Yes, I am always checking the parts that I choose to use before I rely on them. Once I have checked it, then I will feel tree to use it again.

-Tony