Page 1 of 1

Drill file not recognized by DRC bot?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 pm
by inobla
After uploading my zip file the site displays the image and file name for each layer and allows me to designate which layer it belongs to.

My drill file does not come up in the list and after hitting the continue button I'm informed, "Warning: You have not selected a drill file!!"

I've checked the zip to ensure that the drill file was included. Is there another extension other than .drl that the BOT is expecting?

I'm using Kicad's PCBNEW to generate the board file - I've used BatchPCB with Kicad before but it's been over a year, looks like several improvements have been made to the site and bot since then. I'm hoping an extension change on the file name is all that's wrong.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:34 am
by FartingMonkey92
Wanna try renaming the drill file's extension to .txt?
Has it worked?

If it hasn't, can you post the first ~20-30 lines of ya drill file?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 am
by signal7
A common problem is to generate the drill file as gerber data. The DRC bot expects a Excellon Cam format drill file, instead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:55 pm
by inobla
It's frustrating because this format used to work with batchpcb without a hitch. Here is the drill file. Thanks again!

IVAN_HPA.drl

M48
;DRILL file {PCBnew (20080825)} date 8/2/2009-05:57:24
;FORMAT={2:4/ absolute / inch / suppress leading zeros}
R,T
VER,1
FMAT,2
INCH,TZ
TCST,OFF
ICI,OFF
ATC,ON
T1C0.025
%
M47
G05
M72
T1
X32000Y-23000
X34000Y-23000
X36750Y-20000
X36750Y-23000
X39000Y-23000
X41250Y-23000
X41250Y-26000
X42975Y-23000
X44750Y-20000
X44750Y-23000
X47000Y-23000
X49250Y-23000
X49250Y-26000
X51000Y-23000
X52750Y-20000
X52750Y-23000
X55000Y-23000
X57250Y-23000
X57250Y-26000
X59000Y-23000
X60750Y-20000
X60750Y-23000
X63000Y-23000
X65250Y-23000
X65250Y-26000
X68000Y-23000
X69750Y-23000
T0
M30

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:26 pm
by inobla
Unfortunately renaming the .drl file to .txt yields the same results. Is there another common extension I can try?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:40 pm
by FartingMonkey92
To me, it looks like the Kicad exporter thing merges the two files what EAGLE would output, together...
Is anyone more familiar with what Kicad exports?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:04 pm
by inobla
Ok, I believe I've worked it out. The problem had nothing to do with an unexpected file extension as I had initially thought. You were correct in questioning the file contents.

Under the "Create Drill File" menu in the plot options, there is a check box for Minimal Header. When I use this it strips most of the header off and the DRC BOT now recognizes the file and displays the image.

Here is the resulting output that worked:

Code: Select all
M48
INCH,TZ
T1C0.025
%
G05
T1
X32000Y-23000
X34000Y-23000
X36750Y-20000
X36750Y-23000
X39000Y-23000
X41250Y-23000
X41250Y-26000
X42975Y-23000
X44750Y-20000
X44750Y-23000
X47000Y-23000
X49250Y-23000
X49250Y-26000
X51000Y-23000
X52750Y-20000
X52750Y-23000
X55000Y-23000
X57250Y-23000
X57250Y-26000
X59000Y-23000
X60750Y-20000
X60750Y-23000
X63000Y-23000
X65250Y-23000
X65250Y-26000
X68000Y-23000
X69750Y-23000
T0
M30


Kicad drill file options that worked:

Code: Select all
Drill Units: Inches
Decimal Format: Suppress Leading Zeros
Precision: 2:4
Drill Origin: Absolute
Drill Sheet: None
Drill Report: None
HPGL Plotter Options: 20cm/s - Pen Number 1
Mirror Y Access: Unchecked
Minimal Header: Checked*



Thanks so much for your help and replies!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:11 am
by RasmusB
Thank you, that helped me as well!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:33 pm
by josheeg
that helped I fund some of this out by mucking with it but good documentation thanks.