SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderator: robacarp

By eejake52
That looks ok to me. Here's an excerpt from my SECOND order; this one was accepted with the usual 'expect delivery in 10 to 18 days'
Code: Select all
%
M48
M72
T01C0.0320
T02C0.0440
T03C0.0470
T04C0.0472
T05C0.1102
%
T01
X300Y250
X575Y400
X675Y500
X575Y600
X775Y700
X775Y800
X750Y950
X700Y950
X575Y1100
Jake
By LukeZ
Then I suppose the question is, if my drill file really was correct, why the message that next time it would be better if fixed? Given that I'm a relative newbie to this I'm inclined to assume Ben was right and my file was wrong...

Anyways, it would be good to know for sure- it takes an order submission of no errors to get the $2.50 deal in the future, so I'd like to get it right eventually. :?
By NleahciM
LukeZ wrote:Then I suppose the question is, if my drill file really was correct, why the message that next time it would be better if fixed? Given that I'm a relative newbie to this I'm inclined to assume Ben was right and my file was wrong...

Anyways, it would be good to know for sure- it takes an order submission of no errors to get the $2.50 deal in the future, so I'd like to get it right eventually. :?
I just noticed your location. I'm also in Corvallis.

So we don't qualify for the $2.50 deal until we get this absolutely perfect? Argh.

By the way - is there any way to check this with Viewmate? I downloaded the program - but I couldn't figure out how to sue it :o
By LukeZ
NleahciM, check out this thread for a bit of help in using Viewmate. I was able to get it going using that.

Remember that layers in Viewmate don't correspond to layers in Eagle. All you really need to do is import about 5 Eagle layers, and you can make them layers 1 through 5 in Viewmate if you want. The idea is just to see if they line up. Here's how I did it (first column is Viewmate layer, second is Eagle file):
Layer 1 - Drill (*.drd)
Layer 2 - Top silk (*.plc)
Layer 3 - Top copper (*.cmp)
Layer 4 - Bottom copper (*.sol)
Layer 5 - Bottom silk (*.pls)

For layers 2 - 5, you can just click on the colored layer box on the left hand side of the Viewmate screen, hit F2, and then select the appropriate Eagle file. For layer 1 however (your drill file), you'll want to change some settings in Viewmate - Don Blake described this in the thread I posted above, but I'll reiterate it here: Select layer 1 on the left hand side of the Viewmate window (it doesn't have to be layer 1 but that's what we're using in this example). Go to File->Import->Drill & Rout. The import drill file dialog will appear. Before you import your *.drd file, first click on the Options button at the bottom center of the window. In the drill options that come up, change Left of decimal to 2 and Right of decimal to 3. Then, under the Zeros section, select Omit leading zeros. Click OK to close that box. Now you can select your *.drd file and click Import.

When I first did this my layers looked fine until I did the drill file, and then it all got goobered up. This was before I had changed the EXCELLON section of my Eagle.def file (I'm using Eagle 4.14). After doing that, I reimported everything into Viewmate and it looked good - in some ways you can see what's going on better than you can in Eagle itself.

LukeZ
By NleahciM
LukeZ: thanks for the help. I had looked for a topic about viewmate - but somehow I managed to skip over that thread.

Have you figured out yet what is wrong with your drill file? I'd really like to get it figured out as I have a bunch of boards that I'd like to have made...
By LukeZ
NleahciM, unless someone else says otherwise, it looks to me like my file, and yours too, was correct, and that perhaps Ben just included the standard warning to keep us on our toes? :wink:
By NleahciM
LukeZ wrote:NleahciM, unless someone else says otherwise, it looks to me like my file, and yours too, was correct, and that perhaps Ben just included the standard warning to keep us on our toes? :wink:
Yeah - I'm thinking they just got our orders confused with somebody else's or something...

So do you think we can order with the $2.50 deal now? I've now e-mailed Ben *twice* about this with no response whatsoever. I'm thinking I'll just send out all my boards at once to Olimex, as they actually respond to my e-mails, normally within hours. Argh.
By LukeZ
I've emailed Ben as well, but have also not heard back. I referred him to this thread, however, and I'm sure he'll post eventually. Typically the folks at Spark Fun are pretty responsive - for myself I'd be willing to assume they're just busy or whatever...

Has anyone else received the same message about the drill file not being in 2.3 format, when they believed it was?

Luke
By starboarder2001
I submitted my files on 06/11/05, I would be happy if I could just get a message saying that my files passed/failed the DRC. Maybe Ben will check his messages on Wednesday or Thursday.
By tmbg
in my experience, if you don't receive an email by the friday after you submitted (which is when your board would be sent out to GP), everything is AOK.

I've bought 5 lots of boards from them, and I only ever got an "all clear" message the first time. Since then, I submit my gerbers, and the next email I get is "your boards have been shipped".
By pittuck
As i say all will change pretty soon when i get the online system working correctly!

Its gonna take a bit of work to get it completed, but as i am being paid by the square inch(;)) lol, all will be fine.

Hopefully the launch will be Mid to End July!
By doragasu
I'm using Cadence PSD 15.1 with Layout Plus (OrCAD) and I have selected "Extended Gerber" and also "2:3" format, but my .drd file looks a lot different than the ones posted here:
Code: Select all
G04 Mass Parameters ***
G04 Image ***
%INC:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\JALON\MIS DOCUMENTOS\CVSSAND\DIGITAL\PCB\PRUEBA\ANALOG.DRD*%
%ICAS*%
%MOIN*%
%IPPOS*%
%ASAXBY*%
G74*%FSLAN2X23Y23*%
G04 Aperture Definitions ***
%AMTHERMAL210*
1,1,0.0689,0,0,*
1,0,0.0530,0,0,*
21,0,0.0690,0.0100,0,0,135.0*
21,0,0.0690,0.0100,0,0,225.0*%
%AMTHERMAL217*
1,1,0.0739,0,0,*
1,0,0.0580,0,0,*
21,0,0.0740,0.0100,0,0,225.0*
21,0,0.0740,0.0100,0,0,315.0*%
I suppose this file is wrong... does anybody know how to get Layout Plus 10.1 (OrCAD) to export DRD files the right way?

Thanks in advance.
By sparky
So many emails, posts, and orders. We are a bit slow to the repsonses these days.

To re-iterate some things : you can email us for a order check at any time. If it hasn't been 18 days, Ben probably won't have time to get back to you. Anyone posting on the forum is cool in our book. We'll try to help you out.

We are not eagle people. We hope that users such as yourselves will find a way to fix Eagle to output our happy 2.3 format. If you've dug this deep into the forum, and you've submitted designs with only drill file problems, you have my permission to use the $2.50 deal. Please continue to try to correct the drill file output from eagle to 2.3. If you continue to have other submission problems, the $2.50 deal is not for you.

Keep emailing us and asking questions. Forgive us if you don't get a quick response. We're always battling to cover all the bases.

With that said, I need to post another flaming customer email on the PCB forum...

-Nathan
By NleahciM
sparky wrote:So many emails, posts, and orders. We are a bit slow to the repsonses these days.

To re-iterate some things : you can email us for a order check at any time. If it hasn't been 18 days, Ben probably won't have time to get back to you. Anyone posting on the forum is cool in our book. We'll try to help you out.

We are not eagle people. We hope that users such as yourselves will find a way to fix Eagle to output our happy 2.3 format. If you've dug this deep into the forum, and you've submitted designs with only drill file problems, you have my permission to use the $2.50 deal. Please continue to try to correct the drill file output from eagle to 2.3. If you continue to have other submission problems, the $2.50 deal is not for you.

Keep emailing us and asking questions. Forgive us if you don't get a quick response. We're always battling to cover all the bases.

With that said, I need to post another flaming customer email on the PCB forum...

-Nathan
Hi nathan - thanks for the response, especially regarding the $2.50 deal. One thing though - can you tell us what is wrong with LukeZ's and my drill files? They are the last and second to last, respectively, posts on the first page of this thread. From reading through the posts here - I think that our drill files are correct, but Ben told us both that they were not. I'd just feel better about it if I wasn't creating extra work for you all. Thanks!
By sparky
All we can say is that when we try to import your drill files under the 2.3 format, the drill hits are way off. We then close and re-import under the eagle 2.4. Not the end of the world.

I can't say what's wrong. Another PCB guru like Steve would know.

-Nathan