SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions about the BatchPCB service

Moderator: robacarp

By mat01
Hi

I want to submit an order that consists of a large number of small (about 1sq inch) boards. I assume that they will be delivered as one board and that I will then have to separate them myself.

My question is - is it possible to instruct via the Eagle layout for a v-score, or similar cut to be routed into the board so that the smaller boards can easily be 'snapped' out without resorting to using a knife.

Thanks
By BigRedBee
My understanding is that V-scoring has to be done across the entire panel. Having a small section of your boards mixed in with a bunch of others rules this out.

I believe there was another thread that talked about drilling multiple closely spaced holes, but this was frowned upon for manufacturability concerns expressed by the board vendor.
By mat01
Thanks, but who does this V-Scoring, the pcb manufacturer or Spark fun.

My design would have a large number of square or rectangular boards, all of equal size arranged as a grid.

How do I indicate where the v-score goes, or do they just do it by where the board border is?
By BigRedBee
Tha manuf does the scoring. Unless you can fill an entire panel with your design, I don't think it will be compatible with the other boards that are grouped on the same panel.

When I had my boards scored, I marked the lines on the silk screen, and wrote special instructions in the 'readme' file that I included.
By mat01
Did the scoring cost anything extra? When you snapped the boards off, was the edge left relatively straight, or slanting at 45-60 degrees?
By BigRedBee
It was included in the price of the 100 boards I ordered. I don't think it cost anything extra. Both sides were scored. The boards snapped apart cleanly, and the edges are at right angles to the face of the board. Not sure I can tell the difference between the routed edges and the scored edges. I suppose you could touch it up with some fine sand paper if it was really an issue.
By mat01
And all you did was put a note with the order, and draw some guide lines on the silk screen?
By BigRedBee
Yes, but keep in mind this was for 100 boards, and not with Spark Fun. (but they did do my prototypes :D )
By sparky
Hi - thanks for taking care of that!

As BRB pointed out - vscoring is really perfect for small boards. We can't really vscore a panel - only production runs. And when I say production runs, I only mean that you must order your own panel of 100sq inches.

We don't mind when customers contact GP-PCB directly. We are just here for the pooling service.

-Nathan