SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By geekything
I nearly fell off my chair when Sparkfun told me the Transchip TC5747 camera has been discontinued...but Transchip and Redtreet (their distribution) confirm there are no more supplies of this model.

In fact, Transchip have axed all their VGA resolution cameras.

Redtree have an equivalent model available for those interested...requires a bit more in the way of glue to work.

-marc
By SOI_Sentinel
Note to all users: Do not buy any cameras that are meant for use with the GSM modules. :-p

That's the second one axed!

(Addendum)

Now that I've had a chance to look around, who's this redtree? Do we even have a part number or datasheet? I found a Redtree Solutions which fits, as Redtree Industries doesn't seem to do much electronics.

Anyway, it's a distribution channel. Oddly enough, the only camera manufacturer I've found in the Solutions portfolio so far is..... Transchip!
By monzasteeve
Yes, redtree solutions are the guys that few months ago answered me and provided the Transchip Api.

So now, after couple of months working on my little project, having it ready but frying my only camera module by mistake... i can trash it all!!!

That sucks big time.. :x

If anybody finds one of such cameras hidden in a drawer and has no use for it, i would not mind to buy it...

Ste
By NleahciM
monzasteeve wrote:Yes, redtree solutions are the guys that few months ago answered me and provided the Transchip Api.

So now, after couple of months working on my little project, having it ready but frying my only camera module by mistake... i can trash it all!!!

That sucks big time.. :x

If anybody finds one of such cameras hidden in a drawer and has no use for it, i would not mind to buy it...

Ste
Hi Steve - I am just starting up work on a project using one of these cameras, but with the part no longer in production I no longer have interest in using it - so I would be willing to sell it. I also have a couple connectors for it which I would also want to get rid of, naturally. Are you in the USA?
By monzasteeve
Hi NleahciM,

no, I'm currently in Germany. I'm waiting for an answer from the redtree guys actually, I wrote an email to the same guy who sent me the api time ago, who knows, maybe there's a distributor in my area that doesn't mind getting rid of one or two modules for a fair price.
I let you know in a couple of days what happens, thanks for the offer!

but.. by the way, your nick reversed is "Michael", are you german? :-)

Ste
By NleahciM
monzasteeve wrote:Hi NleahciM,

no, I'm currently in Germany. I'm waiting for an answer from the redtree guys actually, I wrote an email to the same guy who sent me the api time ago, who knows, maybe there's a distributor in my area that doesn't mind getting rid of one or two modules for a fair price.
I let you know in a couple of days what happens, thanks for the offer!

but.. by the way, your nick reversed is "Michael", are you german? :-)

Ste
Hi Steve - I'm only 1/4 German. Are Germans known for doing things backwards?
By geekything
I might put together a group buy for the 39-pin Transchip camera...apparently functions the same, but you have to tie some pins down.

I would think that once we pay shipping, duties, service charges etc. the cost would be around US$35.

-marc
By slyd
@geekything:

This means Transchip still produces this version of the camera, but not the 24 pin version anymore?

Does anyone have more infos?

Hmmm. I just bought one of those cams to play around with it, but without a reliable source, the cam would get uninteresting for me.
By muthas
On a related note another telit/transchip supplier, Round Solutions, has recently run into a similar problem from the TC5747 being discontinued. Their solution was to field their own camera (called the CAM-VGA100) - it looks like a standard VGA cmos imager (an omnivision 7640 series) attached to the omnivision OV528 image processor, which converts the parallel video data into a .jpg for serial transmission at 115.2.

The camera looks like a pretty sweet deal, if it weren't for the ridiculous pricing: $59/ea in qty 1 PLUS $77 for shipping to the USA. Oh, and there is a minimum $130 before-shipping order requirement, otherwise they throw on a 30 euro "handling fee".
By geekything
slyd: Transchip discontinued all their JPEG camera modules -- it's just Redtreet have ~20,000 units of the functionally equivalent 39-pin version.

Here's a low-cost JPEG camera with serial interface:

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A ... gory=92034

-marc
By monzasteeve
I found these three new camera modules for cell phones:

http://www.alps-europe.com/images/PR06_ ... Series.pdf

produced by ALPS electric europa.
The are megapixel and brand new, even with lenses etc. No words on electronics glue on board, might be too far fetched, but... maybe in some time we'll get news on them...

Ste
By cabbage
geekything> I've actually bought one of the C628 camera modules - I am trying to use something that I can directly interface to a Telit module, so serial or I2C were important.

The C628 is basically more like a digital camera on a couple of boards - it takes an SD card and works as USB mass storage - and is controlled using a serial protocol (you can download but not upload files off the SD card over the serial link too).

There is very little technical documentation - so a bit of trial and error was needed to interpret the protocol...
By itng
Redtree Solutions still sorting the commercial terms with TransChip. They will let me know more in the coming days.
Does anyone have datasheet of 39's pins TC5747?
And there is someone available to send 24's pins TC5747?