SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By BJS210BJS
I'm new here and know nothing about electronics, other than the fact that I consume them.

I'm attempting to make a small solar powered electric motor which will turn at less than 10 revolutions per minute. I would like this to be able to be powered by ambient light, similar to the dancing daisy pots you see in office spaces (http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Plastic-S ... B005LQ81LI). I would only place eight to sixteen ounces of weight on the end of the motor; I am planning to hang it from a ceiling, motor drive facing the floor. I'm going to attach some trinkets to the drive axle and let my kid stare at them as she gets ready for nap/sleep, etc. I'm hoping the slow spinning will help her relax.

Anybody have any ideas? I purchased a brush motor and a solar cell but the motor spun extremely fast and the solar cell only powered when in direct sunlight. At some point it would be nice to incorporate a battery to store some energy for night time spinning.

I've been looking for somebody in the Seattle/Tacoma area who would have this expertise, but I'm not sure where to go or what title a solar trinket master might have.

Thanks,
Blake Smith, CPA and guy who knows nothing about electronics
By CS Paul
I can't help you myself, but you'll probably have better luck over in the Projects section. The folks who can provide the most assistance are less likely to see your post here.