SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By dlt123
Hi, like others have done before me, I feel it's time for me to update from my $10 soldering iron to a better unit. I am thinking of getting a Metcal Solder station, but I'm not sure which one.

I've been searching threads here and have not been able to find answers to a couple of questions I have about the Metcal Solder stations.

The MX500 is out of my price range so that leaves me with either the SP200, STSS-001, STSS-002.

Does anyone know what the differences are between these units other than price? :)

I see a lot of SP200 power supplies for sale on eBay so this makes me wonder it there are problems with the SP200 Metcal unit. Does the number of SP200 power supplies offered for sale on eBay reflect popularity rather then model problems or is this a model plagued with problems that I should stay away from?

Does anyone have insights into any of the 001, 002, SP200 models or who actually own one that can give me feedback on their unit?

Also, I'm not sure if I will need the User Manuals for any of these units, but is there some place that I can get the user manuals if I need them?

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated. :)
Regards,
DennisT
By dlt123
Well there seems to be some interest in viewing but not responding. :)

I bit the bullet today and bid on a MX500 Metcal on eBay and won. I got a great deal on a used unit in excellent condition. It's time to dump my old ratshack soldering iron. It did crappy soldering and I can't wait to use my new Metcal.

Thanks all,
DennisT
By leon_heller
dlt123 wrote:Well there seems to be some interest in viewing but not responding. :)

I bit the bullet today and bid on a MX500 Metcal on eBay and won. I got a great deal on a used unit in excellent condition. It's time to dump my old ratshack soldering iron. It did crappy soldering and I can't wait to use my new Metcal.

Thanks all,
DennisT
I use an STSS system I bought second-hand, with another I got off eBay. They are compatible with the MX-500 but a lot cheaper. Only difference is a single handpiece connector and no auto turnoff.

Leon
By FESCSteve
We use metcals almost exclusively for about 15 years now. You won't be disapointed at all. In fact, their use can greatly reduce board damage in our experience.

I don't redcall which unit, but one does use different tips than the others. The MX unit has a bit better specification on it's ESD control I believe (from memory).

For a casual user it's hard to go wrong with any Metcal.

Steve
By oPossum
Does anyone know the PSI and CFM requirements for the MX-500DS? I couldn't find it on their web site.
By bsodmike
Another very happy MX500 Metcal user here. Mine has the SP200 base unit (which is the dual SMT rework station) but I only have a single handpiece (for now) and it's all I need as most of the stuff I work on right now are PTH, but I've done quite a but of SMT work and it's not too hard with some patience.

I do need to get a fume extractor at some point. Prolly make one out of an 80mm fan (heh). Mine also has the auto-cutoff and I do love the 1/2s warm up time :D