SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By brainwav
Hi, I was just wondering if it's possible to buy PIC chips with the bootloader (screamer) already on them?? If so, how do I specify this when ordering?
By riden
SparkFun used to offer an option of having the bootloader programmed in a 16F88, but I don't see that anymore on the new shopping cart system. I agree that it would be very nice to have the option of ordering a PIC with the bootloader already programmed.
By brainwav
It would be great if they did. Unless they want you to buy the programmer. But I just need a couple chips of this kind and my programmer can't program those.
By sparky
Yea - we don't sell the PICs preloaded any more. It was too much of a hassle keeping inventory seperate. One was always out of stock and we had to switch PICs back and forth.

All you need is a PG2 to get a DIP programmed with the bootloader. Once the bootloader is in place, you shouldn't need to program it again, but it's always nice to have the 'safety' of the programmer in case things go sideways, or the bootloader version improves.

-Nathan
By riden
sparky wrote:...All you need is a PG2 to get a DIP programmed with the bootloader. Once the bootloader is in place, you shouldn't need to program it again, but it's always nice to have the 'safety' of the programmer in case things go sideways, or the bootloader version improves.
After having to reflash my 16F88 (more than once) after an unexpected reset during a bootloading, I can certainly agree with that!

What I think is missing is some guidance on what a beginner needs to get started. Maybe a pointer on the catalog page to a tutorial article. I know when I am starting out on a new adventure, I appreciate having a roadmap and starter kits available to jump start me. I'd like to refer people to the site and say "You need the 18 pin PIC starter kit." Of course, nothing prevents me from enumerating the required parts myself. :) SparkFun has so many good and inexpensive products, but it can be hard for a beginner to know where to start. It is a tough balancing act since this site caters to people of all skill and experience levels.

BTW, I am seeing more and more references to SparkFun on the net and in print. You guys are getting famous, and I hope that your success continues.

Ralph
By brainwav
..All you need is a PG2 to get a DIP programmed with the bootloader. Once the bootloader is in place, you shouldn't need to program it again, but it's always nice to have the 'safety' of the programmer in case things go sideways, or the bootloader version improves.
I need to start using a chip that the PG2 doesn't program (PIC18F2520 or PIC18F2550). So now I have to get a new programmer just for that?? Is there somewhere where I can get a pre-loaded PIC?

If I was to buy another programmer, is the PIC-MCP-USB a good choice? Will it do all pics?
By beebop
Hi,
For a REAL PIC programmer, get one of the ICD2s or any of the clones. I don't think anything else will touch them. You probably won't have to buy another programmer after that.
Regards,
Robert