SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By ghint
Hi all

Does anyone know where i can get the source code for the mac drivers OR a compiled driver that runs on intel macs? The one i have only runs on PowerPC macs and i need to switch development laptops for a new intel one.

I checked their FTP and couldn't find any source code other than linux versions.

Perhaps SFE staff could lobby for a Universal Binary version (intel+powerpc) pre-compiled.
Thanks
Filipe
By sparky
Hah! Us? Lobby? I am flattered you think companies actually listen to us :) Well, not quite yet.

Here is the contents of an email I received from a cool customer - I hope he doesn't mind. Hope this helps! :
Just as a note for anyone else out there using MacOS X with the SparkFun USB <-> Telit eval board...
I was able to finally get this to work again. Apparently, if you're going to install the drivers from the chip45.com site on a 10.4.5 machine, and you want to upgrade to 10.4.6, after the upgrade you have to uninstall the USB drivers, reboot, re-install them, reboot a couple more times and potentially start them manually.
After uninstalling and reinstalling, plug in your board and issue the following command:
sudo /usr/sbin/kextstat
You should see a SLAB_USBtoUART entry near the bottom. And, when you do:
ls /dev/tty.*
You should see a tty.SLAB_USBtoUART file.
If not, you may need to manually start the driver. For reasons that are not entirely clear, the driver does not automatically start reliably on either of my Macs. If you're comfortable with the state of your off-system backup, you can issue the command:
sudo /sbin/kextload -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/SLAB_USBtoUART.kext
Which will either cause your Mac to spontaneously burst into flames or load the USB <-> Telit driver, depending on the whims of whatever supernatural being is responsible for the taunting of Macintosh owners. To date, I've only ever seen this command load the drivers, but include this warning as an effort to remind people that I'm in no way responsible for bad things happening to your Mac.
-Cheers!
By ghint
thanks for your reply BUT i don't have any driver issues on any version of mac os from 10.3 to latest on any powerpc mac. The problem is it does not work on intel macs nor will it work without a recompile or access to the source code.

Filipe