SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By seulater
when people cross post, I always see people ***** about it. Today I would like to ask what is the big deal when someone cross posts ?
I don't do it because I don't want to get bitched at for it. But to tell you the truth I just don't see the big deal about it. In fact it seems to make sense to me to do it. you get the word out more for more people to see and increase your chances of getting an answer.
By phalanx
But the problem becomes having useful information scattered around multiple posts instead of a centralized location. It leads to a chaotic distribution of information which makes it more difficult to find and keep track of.

Using a single thread per question or comment is the de facto message board etiquette because the vast majority of people prefer to organize their data in a way that keeps related subjects together.

-Bill
By upand_at_them
It also has to do with courtesy. The people who crosspost seem to just want an answer and don't realize that others are spending their own time reading and replying to posts. I consider it a pretty selfish thing to do.

Mike
By riden
Other than spam and flames (deserving or not), I don't have an issue with people cross-posting. However the duplicated postings are unnecessary for me. I like to use the "View posts since last visit" link on the forum home page to make sure I don't miss messages of interest posted on another forum that I'm not following closely.

Looking at the number of views will let you know if people have read your message, and it has been my experience that if a member has knowlege and wisdom about a topic, they are more than willing to share it.

However, nothing can shut down someone faster and make such a negative impression than a flame or criticism out of proportion to the "offense" that was committed. As it is with all things in life - patience, understanding, and tolerance go along way towards a happy and healthy community. :D
By seulater
The people who crosspost seem to just want an answer and don't realize that others are spending their own time reading and replying to posts
upand_at_them, I would have to disagree with you on that one. While it is true that people who do that just want an answer fast. but the later part of the statement I don't agree with. Its up to the reader to read it or not. If you see the same posts in multiple areas and you read all of them they it was your choice to waste your time, not the poster.

Here is the way I look at multiple posts. I don't go to every section of the forums. I pretty much just go to one section.

So lets say I always go to section "A", yet another person who is like me always goes to section "B". Now, lets say that the Guy in section "B" has a question in which I have good expertise in. He only posts his question / problem in forum "B" because that's the "rulles". Since I only go to section "A" I will never see it to be able to help him. Yet if he cross posts, and also puts that question in section "A" I will see it and be able to help him.

This is why I don't understand the BIG deal with cross posting. It not about being rude it about making sure everyone has had a chance to see your question.

I do agree that if multiple people with expertise in the matter reply it would make it difficult to manage the thread.
By donblake
seulater wrote:This is why I don't understand the BIG deal with cross posting. It not about being rude it about making sure everyone has had a chance to see your question.
More than once, I've spent some time answering a question only to find out that it's already been answered in another cross post. My time spent duplicating an answer that I wasn't aware of is a wast of my time.

BTW, this has happened to me in forums other than here.

Don