SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By tshayan
Windows 7

The other day i purchased a "9 Degrees of Freedom - Razor IMU - AHRS compatible" that has the ATmega328 chip on it, from a sparkfun dealer (creatron). i also purchased the "FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V" board to be able to upload sketches to the chip, however this is where the problem comes in....upon loading the sketch i get the famous avrdude error:

"averdude: stk_get sync(): not in sync resp+0x14"
"averdude: stk_disable(): protocol error expect+0x14, resp=0x51"

I have been using various arduinos for a while, with no problems. However I had never used a separate FTDI board. I also know the following:
-I am using the latest FTDI driver (2.6.2.0)
-Tried re-installing the driver many times
-I am selecting the correct COM port
-I am selecting the correct arduino board as instructed by the IMU documents, the "Arduino Duemilanove w/ATmega328" (I have actually tried all the boards in the list but still get the error
-I have unplugged my cable many times, reset the board many times, so everything I could think of

Since none of the above solved the problem and I still got the error, i decided I will use "mega_ISP", arduino 0018, and the instructions here --> http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP to burn the bootloader using the "Burn Bootloader > Arduino as AVRISP" command. So I wired up my arduino to the 6 ICSP pins on the IMU board, and burned the bootloader with no problems (the Arduino IDE said something like "bootloader burned successfully with no errors). Sadly though, this still did not work...

So now I am wondering maybe there is a problem with the FTDI....because if my Arduino can write the bootloader onto the chip, then it can talk to it, no? but for some reason the separate FTDI basic board, does not seem to be able to talk to the chip. when I upload a sketch, the LED on the IMU board starts blinking, the Tx LED on FTDI blinks 3-4 times, the Rx light never blinks and I get the error mentioned above.

So is this a bad FTDI or a bad IMU?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.