SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By MrMooCow
Sorry, if this isn't the perfect forum for this post. There isn't a general "support" forum.

I have the digital soldering iron by Aoyue (TOL-00085?), and occasionally it will display "[8]" on it's screen. This will cause it to either cool down, or keep heating up (whatever it happens to be doing at the moment). The occurrence is linked to anything specific I do, can be at start-up, during soldering, just sitting in the holder, clean tip, solder covered tip, etc.

A Google search is difficult because of the nature of the error message, and all attempts yielded nothing. The manual offers no insight into error codes.

Any thoughts?

Edit:
Fixed my typos. I just can't write out Aoyue, mostly because I'm not sure how to pronounce that.
Last edited by MrMooCow on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jaredj
Mine is an "Aoyue;" are you sure yours has a 'v' in it? That would kill your Google searches right there
By MrMooCow
jaredj wrote:Mine is an "Aoyue;" are you sure yours has a 'v' in it? That would kill your Google searches right there
It is, just a typo in my post however. As I searched both on Google, and their own website using the proper term. The annoying part is, it's clearly some sort of error code. You'd think the manufacturer would just list what each meant.
By SFE-Pearce
Does the unit Beep when this occurs?
By MrMooCow
Doesn't beep, just flashes "[8]". Usually I can finish my connection I'm working on, but not always. I took apart the handle and reseated everything. Seemed to all be in order. I want to order some new tips, but I don't want to waste money so I'm not sure what I'll do.
By SFE-Pearce
I'd shoot us an email at techsupport (at) sparkfun (dot) com, it sounds like something that would need to be sent to the manufacturer for testing and a replacement.