SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By Jassper
I am looking for the ATMEGA1280 eagle footprint. The updated SparkFun eagle file stated that the XMEGA128A was added, but I can not find it in the new lib file. I also cannot find it in the Atmel lib

Can anyone help? thanks
By leon_heller
Make your own! it only takes a few minutes with the software I use.
By Roko
x2... Rolling your own footprints generally causes far fewer headaches in my experience.. It's not too hard to do with eagle as I remember it.
By leon_heller
He could have made it by now and be working on his schematic, instead of waiting for someone to give it to him.
By Roko
Not to mention doing and verifying it himself, he's know it's right!
By Jassper
Leon, Gee thanks for your iconic suggestion - why did I not think of that myself - how ignorant of me.
Gee if I had all kinds of time on my hands you are right - I could have had it done by now.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe I don't want to do it my self? But looks like I will half to as soon as I get time.
If someone already had it made it would have saved me an hour - an hour I could spend working on something else.

You see, I work for a living and my time is money.
By leon_heller
It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.
By Jassper
leon_heller wrote:It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.
If it is something you do all the time, sure - But it's not something I do, it's just that this particulare project I need to use Eagle. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.
By busonerd
Jassper - there's a ULP thats good for creating footprints - IIRC it has BSDL in the name. You can just specify pad sizes / spacings / body sizes and it'll create the footprint. I don't remember the exact specifics since I no longer use Eagle.

Also - trust noone elses footprints. They are invariably wrong and will bite you the one time you forget to verify it.

--David Carne
By Jassper
busonerd wrote:Jassper - there's a ULP thats good for creating footprints - IIRC it has BSDL in the name. You can just specify pad sizes / spacings / body sizes and it'll create the footprint. I don't remember the exact specifics since I no longer use Eagle.

Also - trust noone elses footprints. They are invariably wrong and will bite you the one time you forget to verify it.

--David Carne
Thanks, That is what Pad2Pad uses which is what I almost always use.
I'll see if I can locate it for next time as I am done with this footprint.
By leon_heller
Are you actually doing it yourself, now, as I recommended?
By Jassper
leon_heller wrote:Are you actually doing it yourself, now, as I recommended?
I already did it that same day, I'm way past that point. Does that mean I can not look for future needs?

You know something - I looked back over some history of my postings, and have found that the spark fun forums the lest helpful place to ask questions.

I could understand your arrogance if I always came here asking for footprints, or asking someone to "do it for me" but I don't, this was the first time I asked if something like this was already out there. Forums are a place for people to ask for help, yes sometimes you get trolls or people that have the gime's, but for the most part they ask for help because they need help. Usually on most other forums people are very willing to help, or at least try to point you in the right direction - that is what forums are all about.

Thanks to those who gave me recommendations.
By leon_heller
There you are then! It was quicker to do it yourself than waiting for someone else to provide it, as I suggested it would be.

You might be able to save yourself a lot of time typing in pin names if you select them in the data sheet, and copy/paste them into a spreadsheet. Some reordering is usually needed, as they often have to be copied in chunks. When you have them in the correct sequence in the spreadsheet you just paste them into the part editor. I don't know if that works for Eagle, though.
Last edited by leon_heller on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jassper
leon_heller wrote:There you are then. It was quicker to do it yourself than waiting for someone else to provide it, as I suggested it would be.
No, if it was already done and downloadable, as I asked for - it would have saved me some time. So sorry to say, but your suggestion was unhelpful. Is it that hard for you to understand?