SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website

Did you get something for Free Day?

Yes
23%
No, and I'm very dissatisfied
15%
No, and I'm not too happy (and still love Sparkfun!)
33%
No, but I don't care
29%
By Geek 2.0
Did you get something for Free Day? It seems that not many people did... A good part of me thinks there was a good amount of "cheating".
Last edited by Geek 2.0 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By master_of_robots
You forgot to add, "No, but I still love SparkFun"
By mikeyancey
master_of_robots wrote:You forgot to add, "No, but I still love SparkFun"
Heh - I *do* still like SparkFun, but that was a heckuva lot of people.

I mean I left for lunch at around 1:20 (time after start) in and folks were indicating $15,000 to $19,000 used up; then I come back from lunch and it's over at 1:45 after start...

It's a very interesting problem. I imagine the website load cleared up around lunchtime (East / Central time) and a whole LOT of people were able to complete their orders all at once!

I had a cart; submitted all the way up to CC auth and... it bailed on me, so I got pretty far - just not far enough.

Mike Y
By kidcrash
Yes, seems running the Linux tcp/ip stack may have benefits :)
By esc
I spent 1.5 hours trying to checkout, starting within 2 seconds of the beginning and never got 1 page to refresh.

Not 1 page would load. :x
By waltr
I ordered what I wanted last week so it wouldn't get back ordered. Free would have been nice but felt I had no chance of getting in there and maybe gave some else a chance.
By Hellmark
I wanted an arduino and an ethernet shield for it, since being a college student making minimum wage, just haven't been able to afford it so far (my normal orders are always small stuff most expensive being $20). I had everything in order before hand, and I sat for the entire hour and 45 minutes just refreshing pages, and I never got past the shipping selection page.
By SmileyMicros
I didn't make it through either, but I still think it was a brilliant marketing stunt. SparkFun continues to amaze me.

Smiley
By guardianfox
I gotta say it's been a completely negative experience for me. I filled my cart with about $120 worth of stuff. Not only did I waste nearly two hours trying, but I made it to the finish line twice only to time out after clicking that final link.

Even worse, I'm pretty sure now that my card got charged for the excess+shipping, but customer service has no record of any purchase. I'll be able to say for certain tomorrow when my credit card provider updates me.
By Sputnik
guardianfox wrote:I gotta say it's been a completely negative experience for me. I filled my cart with about $120 worth of stuff. Not only did I waste nearly two hours trying, but I made it to the finish line twice only to time out after clicking that final link.

Even worse, I'm pretty sure now that my card got charged for the excess+shipping, but customer service has no record of any purchase. I'll be able to say for certain tomorrow when my credit card provider updates me.
Yes, im seeing a LOT of chargebacks potentially coming their way due to this problem.
By bsayusd
I didn't get anything, but it doesn't really matter, SparkFun still rocks!