SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By sirscott71
well - I for one am trying to complete my order anyway... although I am still in page loading hell trying to remove one item from my cart that I really can't afford. Looks like the load is coming off a tad which is good.
By lostangel556
phalanx wrote:
lostangel556 wrote:wonder if an admin should lock this thread now as its turning into an flame war rather than an discussion about the free day
I'm considering it...

-Bill
Please do Bill as its starting to get an bit silly now.

Honestly everyone, grow up. Your moaning because you didnt get something for free. Would you moan this much if you missed out on an discount if an store had an powercut.
As well as an Marketing exercise this was also done from an Technical standpoint to test the redundancy on high load times. Today was an extraordinary amount of traffic for any site especially Sparkfun (taken from knowledge for working in NewMedia support).
This information on the load on the servers can show up technical issues with the site which can now be addressed by the tech department at Sparkfun in the near future.
By jhendrix
What they should have done, or can still do, is have a 50% off sale.
Not as much traffic, still get lots of orders, and make some $
By computerguy09
While I didn't expect that I'd be guaranteed the $100, I do think it was a general expectation that I could place an order without having to hit refresh frequently for 2 hours.

I got to the payment screen multiple times, put in my info, but then was never able to confirm the order.

So, even tho I know how web sites work, the ecommerce portion didn't seem to differentiate between an order in process and someone just starting.

I'm disappointed, but I won't keep whining here...I'll just buy less than I was going to...

Mark
By brusmith
jaimegmr wrote:
brusmith wrote:What a way to get bad publicity, 2 hours of nothing but F5. If you can't keep a website up how should we expect to even get what we order? Its not like you are a pioneer, even WOOT has better response times.
<s> Yea, because IT and Customer Service are one and the same. </s>
For all we know this is in someones basement!!
By phalanx
sirscott71 wrote:why? because sparkfun doesn't want to hear negative opinions of their customers?
No, the people who use this forum in a constructive manner don't want to be bothered by the complaints from people who didn't get through.

-Bill
By deeproy
This is bad for a new customer. I waited like everyone else to check out (for over an hour), but I couldn't get past the checkout. So I finally called their tech support.

It was there that I was told the last order was placed 10 mins before I called, and that was the end of that. She was rude and somewhat condescending.

After this experience I can say that not only will I never buy something from Sparkfun, but I will trash them where ever I go. As far as I am concerned, this is a PR disaster for this small company. And I was looking forward to a long relationship with a kit supplier I can use to work with my kids.

Thanks for the horrible morning, Sparkfun. :evil:
By SpinDrah
Yes lock this up and Stop the disgruntled from speaking.

losing a few long time customers to get a Huge amount of publicity is well worth it for a company.

Congratulations SparkFun you are really getting big, I can't wait to buy Stock.
By jswilson64
They should've run the sale on the forum server - it never went down...

:-)
By otto
I guess this is an opportunity for people to adjust their future expectations. When someone is giving $100,000 to customers in $100 increments, there is going to be a lot of interest. I actually did not expect to get through... Imagine my surprise.
By thebra
lostangel556 wrote:
phalanx wrote:
lostangel556 wrote:wonder if an admin should lock this thread now as its turning into an flame war rather than an discussion about the free day
I'm considering it...

-Bill
Please do Bill as its starting to get an bit silly now.

Honestly everyone, grow up. Your moaning because you didnt get something for free. Would you moan this much if you missed out on an discount if an store had an powercut.
As well as an Marketing exercise this was also done from an Technical standpoint to test the redundancy on high load times. Today was an extraordinary amount of traffic for any site especially Sparkfun (taken from knowledge for working in NewMedia support).
This information on the load on the servers can show up technical issues with the site which can now be addressed by the tech department at Sparkfun in the near future.
"Would you moan this much if you missed out on an discount if an store had an powercut."

By discount you mean FREE.
By master_of_robots
brusmith wrote:
jaimegmr wrote:
brusmith wrote:What a way to get bad publicity, 2 hours of nothing but F5. If you can't keep a website up how should we expect to even get what we order? Its not like you are a pioneer, even WOOT has better response times.
<s> Yea, because IT and Customer Service are one and the same. </s>
For all we know this is in someones basement!!
Obviously, you haven't seen the posts on their headquarters. Nice building!
By chas
@ master_of_robots

I saw your ASCII text before they removed it. Tears are still in my eyes from laughing so hard. I've had three people come to my cubicle and ask what was so funny. How can I explain this? :lol:
By Asimo
Seeing how excited I was I think the wifey is considering a Gift cert for my birthday (which is in a few days). :D

I might be one of the winners after all.
By dbunting
was really hoping to get my order in.

6 months ago i lost my job and had to move out of my place.
during the move some *** stole the box with all my electronics stuff in it.
all i wanted was an arduino and a DOS-on-a-chip with break out so i could have something i enjoy doing while i try and find another job.

oh well, hopefully some other time.

all you people that think they are owed something are pathetic.
sparkfun is one of only a handful of companies i have heard of that even bother to think about giving away things they could sell for full face value in an economy like this.

its not like your paying for any of this. sparkfun wanted to give back, and they did. if i got something or not it still speaks VOLUMES about the kind of people behind sparkfun, and hopefully when i get back on my feet i can show them my appreciation by buying from them.