SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By computerguy09
Got in for a little while, went to look at my cart, and now can't get anything to load....

Mark
By hardija
Got into my cart once and had 5 extra items from all the refresh attempts! Who knows what will happen as I try to update the quantity.
By TravistyOJ
hardija wrote:I think they should cancel free day for today, learn from what happened and reschedule!
Thats exactly what i was just thinking.
By Kilrah
DeadlyFoez wrote:They should quickly rent a server.
Don't say that too loud, they just bought 5 to host the site in-house. ;)

But yes, they'd need 100 of them for something like that...

Yep, rescheduling would be wise, with the correct infrastructure this time.
By RobotJay
A couple minutes before opening bell... I wonder if the site will go live again at 9 a.m. as planned.
By wiley14
... if they are all on the same connection to the net. The connection will be saturated long before the servers get pegged.

You should have spent the cash to move the site to Amazon EC2 - at least for the day. Poor execution - fire your IT guy.
By tristan
as the entire internet comes to a screeching halt.
By computerguy09
3 minutes till time, and no response from website...

My guess is that some folks will get in and get the $100K. I'd hate to see a good site like this give away some stuff, but get lots of folks upset that they couldn't get in. And to give away more stuff another day might be a financial burden...
By george graves
30 seconds!
By kibble
Well guys, it's go time and no sign of a working site yet. :(
By SpinDrah
wow what a disappointment, But its not that surprising, they gave all the greedy kids time to set up multiple accounts and all the non- customers to get free stuff just to sell on ebay.

but in the end long time customers like me cant even sign in
By tristan
if we keep all this refreshing up the loot might last 24 hours!
By TRON
Kilrah wrote:
DeadlyFoez wrote:They should quickly rent a server.
Don't say that too loud, they just bought 5 to host the site in-house. ;)

But yes, they'd need 100 of them for something like that...
Actually they're hosting all the servers at a data center, did you not see the news post about it last week?

Also sites like slashdot have no problems running off of fewer than 10 servers with thousands of users because they implement a throttling policy of basically if you hammer the server cluster you get banned for an hour.
KreAture wrote: And I have nothing to do except hit refresh and hope for a miracle...
It's people like you who are causing the problem in the first place and if they had implemented the throttling as suggested above then you would be one of many to be temporarily banned for hamming the server cluster.
By Applekid
So, who put in a bet that the servers would get taken down BEFORE the 11AM time? :wink:
By kibble
Can you imagine all the mouse clicks that happened right around 9:00 MST?