SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By kibble
It does suck to think (know?) that some people will try to re-sell their stuff while there's those that genuinely want some items to be able to do something with it. :(

I can imagine the headache the people trying to keep the servers running are going through. This kinda reminds me of black Friday, but on the internet.
By jswilson64
smedoz wrote:Sucks for repeat customers. Guess i can go on ebay and see all the stuff that people got who didnt deserve it.
I looked over the Free Day rules - I didn't see anything about anyone deserving it more than anyone else.
By sirscott71
not to knock them at all... I think this was a fabulous idea but I can't help but wonder if a coupon code that worked for people who have bought from the site before wouldn't have worked out better. Of course, that would have done nothing to help new enthusiasts or expand their customer base which the current program is sure to do...
By Philipf
jswilson64 wrote:
smedoz wrote:Sucks for repeat customers. Guess i can go on ebay and see all the stuff that people got who didnt deserve it.
I looked over the Free Day rules - I didn't see anything about anyone deserving it more than anyone else.
I think he means people who are getting stuff with the purpose of reselling.
By TravistyOJ
Dangit, guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up too much, I knew it was too good to be true. I had been looking through the store all week at the cool stuff they have.
By kibble
DeadlyFoez wrote:Unfortunately I can't push people out of my way on the internet without doing something illegal.
That's probably a good thing, at least we won't see on the news how someone got trampled at the entrance, although I can already see keyboard and or monitor sales going up from people who took out their anger on them... :lol:

I'm actually finding this to be somewhat humorous and it's kinda cool to be able to talk to others about it as it happens. I was actually thinking to myself earlier how this event will probably go down in history among electronic enthusiasts as the day the internet stood still. :lol:
Last edited by kibble on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By smedoz
dude, relax. Its not about one person deserving more than the other, everyone should have an opportunity to get stuff, just sux that this is just like getting tix on ticketmaster, the scalpers get online and buy all the tickets, and then I have to buy them for more than face on ebay later. (last time i went to macy's to avoid the online debacle, but the printer got jammed right before me, so i got screwed anyawy) although i guess in this case i can just buy stuff from sparkfun tomorrow, with no added above the line cost, but it is still bs that the site is chocked from people that propably won't actually use the stuff they get. Maybe next time i should read the rules.
By Philipf
DeadlyFoez wrote:Either way, I am buying a hot air station, whether I get the $100 free or not. I was looking around to buy one anyways when I stumbled upon sparkfun.

I can't wait to see the results about the amount of traffic it created. They should quickly rent a server.
I do beleive they installed 5 new servers to avoid this, check the site when the rush is over.
By KreAture
DNS Issues :(

And I have nothing to do except hit refresh and hope for a miracle...
By hardija
I think they should cancel free day for today, learn from what happened and reschedule!
By kibble
I'm on the site right now!!!

.............awwwwww it died again.. :(
By sarmitage
[quote]And I have nothing to do except hit refresh and hope for a miracle...[/quote]

You may need 3 or 4 miracles since you need to visit several different pages to complete the order process and they all need to load.
Last edited by sarmitage on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By george graves
Working perfectly for me!

Kidding - I'm stuck in refresh mode.
By sirscott71
I'm buying some stuff today regardless of whether I get the discount or not... now I am just hoping it will still be in stock. Was going to buy in december but guess I shouldn't have waited for freeday! oh well!
By KreAture
sarmitage wrote:
KreAture wrote: DNS Issues :(

And I have nothing to do except hit refresh and hope for a miracle...
You may need 3 or 4 miracles since you need to visit several different pages to complete the order process and they all need to load.
Not to mention getting my hot-air station into my shopping basket as it got emptied...