SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By kibble
hahahah! I managed to see it too. Tell them it was a picture of a cute bunny with a hat on. I dunno it's the best I could come up with.
By znmiller
I'd never heard of Sparkfun before, and I was excited about some of these kits. However, my (over $100) order is canceled, and I'll be looking somewhere else. You've wasted my, and everyone elses time.
By master_of_robots
chas wrote:@ master_of_robots

I saw your ASCII text before they removed it. Tears are still in my eyes from laughing so hard. I've had three people come to my cubicle and ask what was so funny. How can I explain this? :lol:
I wish phalanx had left it. I thought it was comedy gold!

Geez, some people are being jerks. I went through this same scenario to get concert tickets for the Smashing Pumpkins when they had their 7 day festival in Asheville, NC. I didn't care that things were down, I wanted the tickets.

I'm sure that once people see that you can't get the quality products that SparkFun offers anywhere else, they'll come back.
By whelzorn
I didn't win anything, but think about it; I could have spent an hours worth of work on scratch tickets and won nothing. I didn't have to spend any money on this.
Like I said, I understand why people are aggravated. I was a little bit, just because I had been waiting for this day. But I had a chance, and it was an equal chance for everyone. If the servers had worked perfectly, people would have sniped the site with scripts anyways.
Last edited by whelzorn on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By sirscott71
phalanx wrote:
sirscott71 wrote:why? because sparkfun doesn't want to hear negative opinions of their customers?
No, the people who use this forum in a constructive manner don't want to be bothered by the complaints from people who didn't get through.

-Bill
Hey don't get me wrong - I'm not bitter at all and am going forward with my purchase anyways (minus one item). I just think it is silly to lock a thread becasuse some people are being childish. If they were disturbing other threads, then absolutely...but this *is* a thread about free day and their complaints, while frivilous, are still relevant to the thread. Anyone in marketting will tell you that there is no bad information from a customer... which isn't the same thing as saying the customer is always right.
By phalanx
master_of_robots wrote:I wish phalanx had left it. I thought it was comedy gold!
There are some decency standards here and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't resort to calling me names via PM.

-Bill
By phalanx
sirscott71 wrote:I just think it is silly to lock a thread becasuse some people are being childish.
You'll notice I haven't locked anything yet.

-Bill
By Regex
See, I'm a new customer and I only heard of SF through some blog. The person mentioned Free Day and that's what caught my attention. I'm not so upset that I didn't get anything, but I am:

-Frustrated about my first experience with the site
-Baffled that it wasn't better executed
-Upset that all the hype I had for the site was crushed
By master_of_robots
phalanx wrote:
master_of_robots wrote:I wish phalanx had left it. I thought it was comedy gold!
There are some decency standards here and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't resort to calling me names via PM.

-Bill
Technically, I didn't call you anything. I was only making an analogy using a metaphor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
By smedoz
No offence (sp), but people are allowed to be aggrevated. The only reason I am pissed is because i doubt that the majority of people that got through are not going to use the products but repost them. Granted, i have no idea of who in fact did get through, but i base my assumptions off prior experiences. If i am wrong, that's great, and its no big deal. There's nothing wrong with not winning a lottery, etc.
By lostangel556
sirscott71 wrote:
phalanx wrote:
sirscott71 wrote:why? because sparkfun doesn't want to hear negative opinions of their customers?
No, the people who use this forum in a constructive manner don't want to be bothered by the complaints from people who didn't get through.

-Bill
Hey don't get me wrong - I'm not bitter at all and am going forward with my purchase anyways (minus one item). I just think it is silly to lock a thread becasuse some people are being childish. If they were disturbing other threads, then absolutely...but this *is* a thread about free day and their complaints, while frivilous, are still relevant to the thread. Anyone in marketting will tell you that there is no bad information from a customer... which isn't the same thing as saying the customer is always right.
Yeah but there is such an thing as constructive comments.
e.g. unable to load web page for X mins now.

While i think that it shouldnt be locked under the premise that it is about free day, there are an awful lot of comments in here now that are more at poking the blame at sparkfun for lack of redundancy which i thought was one of the points of doing this day in the first place.
Maybe im wrong but ill leave it in the able hands of the admins to decide if it gets out of hand.
By chas
master_of_robots wrote:
phalanx wrote:

-Bill
Technically, I didn't call you anything. I was only making an analogy using a metaphor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
Stop it! You're making me laugh out loud again!
By sirscott71
Regex wrote:See, I'm a new customer and I only heard of SF through some blog. The person mentioned Free Day and that's what caught my attention. I'm not so upset that I didn't get anything, but I am:

-Frustrated about my first experience with the site
-Baffled that it wasn't better executed
-Upset that all the hype I had for the site was crushed
For what it is worth - it really is a great site, particularly for breakout boards (without peer really). Their interface and website is great and they ship/deliver quickly. They just got in over their head today. Wait till the server stops smoking and have a look around.
By esm
smedoz wrote:i doubt that the majority of people that got through are not going to use the products but repost them.
I fully intend to use both the soldering station and Arduino kit I put together to entertaining use, if it makes you feel any better. :)
By brusmith
master_of_robots wrote:
brusmith wrote:
jaimegmr wrote: <s> Yea, because IT and Customer Service are one and the same. </s>
For all we know this is in someones basement!!
Obviously, you haven't seen the posts on their headquarters. Nice building!
Thanks MOR I will have to look at that picture.