SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By KofS
edembowski wrote:
geduxaz wrote:BIG - for SPF.. didn't they expect such amount of connections? why thei didn't prepare earlier.... waste of time in hope of miracle..... think never will come back to spf....
They did prepare earlier. If you read the blog, you would have read about the shiny new servers. I'm sure they're set up to deal with well over 100% normal capacity. What you (and all the other complainers) don't understand is that this is an abnormal load.

- Ed
so when they say "prepare for free day" they secretly mean the opposite. neat
By Applekid
100K!!! THAT'S IT! All done! We can all go home now.

(did it work? *F5*) :twisted:
By master_of_robots
master_of_robots wrote:
master_of_robots wrote:In support of SparkFun...I'm going to continue to drink beer until my order goes through.

Who's with me?! 8)
1 beer down, cracking open number 2. I'm at the payment stage.
2 beers down, cracking open number 3. Still at the payment stage.
By Dre
The annoying thing is that I came to Paypal to pay for the items, but then I lost contact with Sparkfun, so now it seems I wont get the items anyway. :(
By kibble
Applekid wrote:100K!!! THAT'S IT! All done! We can all go home now.

LOL!!! right after I read that the page came up!
By CTID17
Applekid wrote:100K!!! THAT'S IT! All done! We can all go home now.

70+ k just now. Then i get timed out.
By jswilson64
I think it's hilarious, the sense of entitlement that "old-timers" have.

If Sparkfun had wanted to reward their existing/old customers, they would/could have. They wanted to get publicity for their site, which they did probably beyond their wildest expectations!

P.s. - hung up on "continue to select a payment method" with $57,641 showing
By atla57
Got mine, finally!

70k was the count, by the way.
By SpinDrah
Chupa wrote:
unsped wrote:it will be ironic that after giving away 100,000 dollars in free stuff there is a high probability that the net result will be:

1) new unlikely to be repeat customers with multiple accounts and scripts will get the majority of sales, the majority of those will be resold.

2) loyal customers will spend hours staring at a blank webpage that won't load, be late for work/school ultimately give up and be mad at sparkfun for how poorly the thing was run and ultimately have a worse opinion of the company.

i applaud them for trying but i think the growing pains might sting a bit. i think it probably should have been a lottery system where winners had a 'day' to redeem the codes (tying the code to an account or shipping address)

however if you think about it maybe the sparkfun crew are very smart, if its slammed all day and it ends at 11pm they might only give away 20-30 dollars worth of stuff :D

in all seriousness best of luck to you guys!
IAWTP.

sense its meant to be a thank you to everyone should of locked it down to people who have at least 1 order already.

Ide be interested in seeing some stats as to the % sales for this free day who were first time and then in 6 months see how many of them have bought anything else.

yes i am grumpy about it. no there's nothing i can do about it.
lol so true, just go on ebay in a week and check out all the SF goodies.
By Drakkn
Looks like the majority of the stuff will go to the guys with scripts that reload timeouts over and over again.
By TheDirty
$64K now and I completed my order.

Sweet.

Didn't use the entire $100, but I really wanted the base Venus GPS module.

Sorry. I know everyone will hate me, but ya, it took an hour and a half of refreshing every once in a while.
By Laminar
Drakkn wrote:Looks like the majority of the stuff will go to the guys with scripts that reload timeouts over and over again.
I'd be interested to see evidence of this being true.
By KofS
Laminar wrote:
Drakkn wrote:Looks like the majority of the stuff will go to the guys with scripts that reload timeouts over and over again.
I'd be interested to see evidence of this being true.
i hope sparkfun does a detailed postmortem in the coming weeks/months, i know id be interested
By CTID17
TheDirty wrote:$64K now and I completed my order.

Sweet.

Didn't use the entire $100, but I really wanted the base Venus GPS module.

Sorry. I know everyone will hate me, but ya, it took an hour and a half of refreshing every once in a while.
Good for you.
By master_of_robots
master_of_robots wrote:
master_of_robots wrote:
master_of_robots wrote:In support of SparkFun...I'm going to continue to drink beer until my order goes through.

Who's with me?! 8)
1 beer down, cracking open number 2. I'm at the payment stage.
2 beers down, cracking open number 3. Still at the payment stage.
Mmmm...Bitburger. http://www.bitburger.com/bitburger_beers/index.html

Das Bier! Bitte ein Bit! Thank you Germany!