SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By ggpipe
The day before free day and the web site is already experiencing problem. I found slowness, php errors, db errors, general errors when trying to reach sparkfun web pages or this forum. Other seeing the same thing?
By ggpipe
Now I see a message the web site is shut down.
By chris12892
I wonder if they are doing real updates, or if that message comes up automatically when their load avg goes to a certain level. If it's the former, it may not be all bad, if it's the latter, then the site will be totally dead tomorrow.

Good thing I made my cart last night when the site was nice and speedy :D
By leon_heller
Perhaps they are fixing an ordering problem someone mentioned on another thread.

Leon
By Philipf
They'll just making sure all is ok before the big day.
By leon_heller
It seems to be working again, very slowly.

Leon
By tetsujin
Half the time when I try to load a catalog page it just dumps me off to the news page... >:|
By lyndon
I totally forgot about free day. Thanks for reminding me :-)

Although I suspect the sheer volume of college students with infinite free time parked on the site hitting "refresh" every second will probably crowd me out :-(
By rushourgraffic
Catalog still not working...
By tetsujin
rushourgraffic wrote:Catalog still not working...
Site's getting thrashed - but it seems to be behaving rather better at the moment...
By ggpipe
Arrrgg! It's down again.
By The Eight-Bit Link
This is frustrating! The website is at a crawl, and I can't do searches or get picaxe parts because it says that there are no products! Maybe if they got rid of the banner and some other things to streamline the website...
By SGSeeker
The Eight-Bit Link wrote:This is frustrating! The website is at a crawl, and I can't do searches or get picaxe parts because it says that there are no products! Maybe if they got rid of the banner and some other things to streamline the website...
I don't think they're too worried as they'll get the purchases one way or another (unless the site remains as it has been for the last few hours). I just wish they would restrict this to accounts that have actually made purchases in the past, or accounts that were created before the thing was announced and thousands of new accounts being created just to get free things that most people will never even use. I just want to try to get the 10hz GPS module but I assume I won't have a chance, either due to all the on-the-hour clickers or server issues.

I still cannot even login to my original account or one I just created today - I know for the fact that it was working before I clicked "sign off". IF the site get fixes, I may have to create a third account tomorrow just to try to get in but I find it unlikely that these server issues will pass in the next 7 1/2 hours.
By The Eight-Bit Link
Getting better... But maybe as an idea for the future,a sparkfun 'lite' that kicks in when it gets bogged down like so.