What I would do if I had time to work on this:
- Web-based app (AppEngine probably).
- Wiki-like parts database with links to datasheets and references for all component distributors. Links to open hardware projects using the parts ("I want to check how people are using this").
- Each user creates an account on the site and can create their own inventory using their own parts definitions or those from the collaborative wiki. Can flag parts as "general purpose" and specify the optimal quantity for restocking.
- BOM manager to create and publish BOMs + keeping track of how many units of a particular device we have stock for.
- Function to create order csvs automatically for digikey or farnell ("order the parts I need for 10 units of this device" ; "restock the parts I have flagged as general purpose").
- Geo search. Find people around me who might have a part I'm looking for.
I don't think it's that hard... Add to the wishlist... Maybe I might end up doing it