SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By aauer1
Hi,

on the Sparkfun website, I have seen the PSP LCD which is connected to an FPGA. I would like to do a very similar project. So, maybe someone here can help me.

First of all, I will tell you a little bit about my project idea. I would like to capture an analog video and display this video on the PSP LCD. The video will be digitized with an IC from TI (TVP 5150AM1).
The analog video is coming from an S-video source with two interlaced fields (PAL). So, I will get images with a resolution of 720x288 pixel. So far so good... now, the problem is that the framerate of the analog source is 50 Hz. The PSP LCD requires a nominal pixel clock of 9 MHz which results in 60 Hz framerate.
The question is, if the PSP LCD is able to operate correctly with a vertical frequency of 50 Hz (about 7 MHz pixel clock) instead of 60 Hz!?

Maybe someone can try to run the LCD with 50 Hz framerate.

Thanks a lot,
Andreas
By vixctor
I did it.

I´m doing a project very similar. Using PSP LCD from sparkfun and TPV5150a. But I display NTSC, sorry, i´m in america, but there is no problem displaying PAL. I use a frame buffer to store the samples from TPV5150a. But there is a problem, TPV5150A delivers ITU605, in CrYCb format. not RGB as uses this display.
So the next task was re-encoding this ITU605 to an analog RGB using an ADV7172 from analog devices, and re-digitalizing this analog RGB using an ADV7202 from analog devices too. So now I have my samples in RGB format. I store all the frame using an AL440B from averlogic. In this frame buffer, I have 960 x 240 pixels in full color. Finally, I transfer the video contents into PSP display. I have 60 fps using this metod, in reality, a have another frame buffer to "make" PSP LCD to do a RAM-store like display.
I only display even field at 30fps since I wanted more processor time to do another task, such as menus, icons, video overlays etc. There is no fliker in video image, but a lot of time to do some diferents task =O).

since you´ve posted this topic, I realice that you solved you´r problem. but, if I can help you contact me.
Regards Victor Serrano.

PD. my PSP based console works with PICS, yeah, pics at 12mips