SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By sparky
We've received hundreds pushing thousands of emails about the rotary phone. It's been a hoot! But this is the very first email where someone had something bad to say. I think it was pretty funny and interesting. Would you expect to find anything less on the SFE support forum?
Thanks for the feedback John!

I have nothing to say really, so have a good one!

-Nathan

At 11:57 AM 6/24/2005 -0400, you wrote:

Dear Sir:

I thought of ranting and raving about how 22 year olds continue to rip off my generation, seeing as I am 45 years old and my friends are 55 years old. But, I decided not to.
You would not read it anyway.

I will simply say, that ya'll didn't live in the 1970's when things were tough. We had nothing but Richard Nixon, Vietnam, The Moon Missions, and barely enough entertainment to keep us happy. We lived with the rotary from the 50's up until about 1974, and did just fine. Then came push button- and that ruined everything- because that meant cell phones.

We lived with typewriters, phone booths, toaster ovens, large cars, (which were at least made from steel.)

The problem I personally have, is that ALL cell phones are annoying. They are stupid, lots and lots of people are being "taken over" by them. This weak attempt at humor by re-doing a rotary phone is a slap in the face to people my age and older.

You should stop and realize the things you wouln't have if it were not for the people from the 1960's and 1970's. I know for sure, ya'll would not have any ideas to steal from since your generation Technology has done everything but reinvent and stick a computer chip in our ideas.

It would be nice to get out of bed one day and not see something taken from the 1970's. It was not a "cool, or a trip" time. We did nothing but struggle. Except for the people still on drugs.

I'm sure 20 years from now when someone has splashed pictures of a cellphone from your generation on the computer and redone it- or made fun of something that ya'll had now and will be obsolete in the future- you won't be laughing. Maybe they will think you are wierd., or have had too much "E" or rum and coke.

In closing I would like to add- If there were no typewriters- you would have no computers. If there were no "rotary" phones, you would have no cell phones, If we had not made so many movie hits ya'll couldn't remake them today and remake the money. And if there were no "cool" toys that are still around that kids think are "new", there would be no money, since they are in the dark- they think everything is new. I bet everyone thinks a "slinky" is new.

But sell your invention- I think it is rude, and a slap in the face to people who had rotary phones. Incidently- just so you "college kids" know, the words- "cool, trip, right on, can you dig it, peace,- were all alive and well long before ANY of you were born. Think up your own expressions and words, and quit using ours.

What's next, are you going to bring "mood rings" back and make them telephones? Ask your parents- they know what mood rings are. I wish everyone who liked cell phones would have a chip implanted in their head and they could just touch it and think what they want to say to someone else. I have never been so sick and tired of seeing everywhere I turn someone on a damn phone. And so many versions of them.

Phones are for home, and Hang up and Drive!!

JC
Was it the rum & coke reference that set him off? The use of the word 'cool' in the tutorial? I'm not sure what he is so angry about - where the 70's really that bad? He's is right though, I wasn't there.

I am very happy to report, this is the only negative email (so far). I hope to post some of the more interesting reports and articles. Oh, including this one from Phillip Torrone Make Magazine : http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/20 ... otary.html

-Nathan
By Pete-O
Somebody needs a nap.
By Kevin Watson
Hmmm... I thought they caught the unibomber <grin>.
By Pete-O
sparky wrote:
Was it the rum & coke reference that set him off? The use of the word 'cool' in the tutorial? I'm not sure what he is so angry about - where the 70's really that bad? He's is right though, I wasn't there.

-Nathan
I was there...and you should be thankful that youn weren't! It was an shamefull time in our history. The disco wars claimed many lives... :(
By Caffeine
The project also made an appearance on www.zgeek.com (a geeky online usually not work safe news site)