SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By fred
I purchased one of these, and downloaded the latest drivers. In windows, I get an error message stating "one of the USB devices attached to the computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it". I do have the latest driver, one I downloaded from this site with a posting date something like may 24th or 25th. In any case it seems like there might be a hardware problem?

I also downloaded the linux driver and compiled it for my kernel. I have no problem loading the modules, but there appears to again be some type of hardware problem because I keep getting these kind of logs messages:

May 28 21:16:01 gw kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.2-2, assigned address 18
May 28 21:16:01 gw kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=18 (error=-110)
May 28 21:16:01 gw kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.2-2, assigned address 19
May 28 21:16:01 gw kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=19 (error=-110)

Seems to me to be some kind of problem with the usb serial chip on the eval board for the GPS. Has anyone seen anything like this? Is there something I am doing wrong, or is there some other testing I can do to confirm the problem?

I was going to try to put together a serial interface for the GPS, because I still don't know what it does, and since I cannot communicate with the USB eval board I don't have any other options.

Thanks for any help in advance
Keith
By sparky
Hi Keith,

I think we've already helped you via email... Sounds like there is a hardware problem either with the CP2102 or the USB connector. We are replacing the board.

-Nathan