SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By PSPMAN90
:o hello! Im new, I know but I dint find a place to introduce myself... So I ask, this is avalaible? PSP Touch Screen 4 PSP ? well I saw a few in stock but is better ask someome from administration. So? How does this work? Has anyone had use it or tested this PSP Touch Screen? l just wanna know b4 buying one on here. Since is the only website Online Store that l've seem this PSP Touch Screen! So anyone who answer my doubts, I really going to be thanksfull :D Thanks!
By septer012
The touchscreen is not compatible with a Sony PSP hardware or software.

They only label it that to show that it is the same dimensions of the physical screen from Sharp.

The sparkfun website reports stock by the little red/yellow/green markers next to their items. Red is out of stock, Yellow is low stock (less then 10 i believe), Green is in stock. If you hover over one of these little markers it tells you the actual stock.
By qwert333
can it actually work when i solder the connector to the analog stick?
By b_bogk77
You know there is probably not enough room inside the PSP housing to accommodate for the touch screen.

As far as I know both the touch screen and the analog stick act as variable resistors, but most likely they have different ranges, so it won't work out of the box. (you ether get only part of the analog stick range, or, only part of the touch screen is usable).
By qwert333
well i can just make a hole and connect it to the analog stick.
if i solder it to the analog would it funtion as an analog too?
By MarkS
b_bogk77 wrote:You know there is probably not enough room inside the PSP housing to accommodate for the touch screen.

As far as I know both the touch screen and the analog stick act as variable resistors, but most likely they have different ranges, so it won't work out of the box. (you ether get only part of the analog stick range, or, only part of the touch screen is usable).
It's still and interesting thought! :wink:
By PSPMAN90
So for what is this touch Analog Screen was made for?

"PSP"
Code: Select all
with a handy adhesive backing to stick to the PSP display. 4-wire ribbon with 1mm pitch.
Code: Select all
"This touch screen is not intended to be hacked into an off-the-shelf Play Station Portable"(Yes it is). It is solely meant to be a nice add-on to our 24-Bit color display.(PSP Screen?) 
So what is it for then?

Nobody use this for anything else, you got an example of what to use this on other device that is not a PSP?

Huh!?
By pma
Resistive touchscreens are used on virtually all PDAs as the primary input method. There are now quite a few GPS units that use 4.3" TFT LCD, with touchscreen.
And I have made use of it for a prototype product:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBQbJHUGiz4

To use a resistive touchscreen, you will require a controller -- more than just a A/D converters (like analog joysticks), as it needs to be able to apply a voltage across one axis while using an A/D to measure the other.

Often these controllers communicate with the CPU over a serial interface (SPI, IIC, UART, etc). At issue here is getting a controller into the PSP with the right interface, and getting the software working.

Another option is to create a small circuit that has the touchscreen controller and CPU. (I have not seen a *small* CPU with touchscreen controller builtin, but it may be out there). The CPU would get samples from the controller, and have two D/A converters generate a ratiometric voltage for the PSP's analog joystick port. The CPU could sense touch pressure, allowing you to for example wire it in parallel to one the PSP buttons.

I may be speaking out of complete ignorance, as I do not have any specs on the PSP's analog joystick port...

Regards,
Pete
By PSPMAN90
No I get it after seeing your Video, So u use a 24 Bit colors display Sharp Screen and the Analog Touch screen.

I think is cool that device what u did!
Also good luck developing :D

Sorry for my Ignorance

Thanks for making me understand :D

PSPMAN90
By chrish4161
If you’ve been longing for Sony to turn the PSP into a touch screen device, that day has kind of come.
The only twist is it’s not from Sony.
A group of homebrew junkies led by “harleyq” have created an add-on that mounts directly on your PSP and connects up via USB.
The unit, called PSPTouchME, will not be compatible with commercial games since it’s not officially commissioned by Sony or the game companies, but will work with homebrew games developed for it