SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By geekything
- My first order arrived pretty fast (I'm in Canada; AND Customs decided to open my package)

- I was a bit naughty and email Nathan directly with some support questions, and he replied very quickly (I then found out about the forums, my bad)

- Shipping costs were actually pretty reasonable for Global Express Mail

- Parts were decently package -- the Trimble iQ was in a sealed static wrap, the wireless transceivers had their pins in anti-static foam AND in a static bag. All parts were then put in a small cardboard box, and then in a padded "Jiffy" envelope.

- Proper customs forms were filled out, copies of invoices provided (sounds like a given, but not all companies comply!)

- Placed my second order yesterday and within a couple of hours had received a USPS tracking number.

Yes, this is how an Internet-centric supplier should conduct business, but you'd be surprised how many don't.

And I won't even start on about how they seem to have a bunch of neat prouducts (lots that I'd *like*!) and understand us geeks.

8/10 (always room for improvement). Keep up the good work.

Marc Nicholas - Toronto - Canada
By sparky
Hah! 8/10 - I'll take it. :o Room for improvement where? No, really. What would you like to see? What drives online customers? Lower prices, better customer service, faster shipping?

Trimble told me that they were going to take three weeks to ship our latest order. I nearly lost it. Companies are shipping faster and faster these days - it's tough whenever I come across a company that does not. I am very happy to hear that we are keeping up.

Thanks again for the feedback!

-Nathan
By geekything
Well, the override stuff on shipping can be a little bit of a PIA. But you probabvly don't really have much control over that, right?

And on a purely selfish level, I'd like to see a MEMS gyro board without the accelerometer ;-)

-marc
By nrdark
Hi,
I to have had a great experience thus far with sparkfun, both their PCB service and general orders.
A couple of ideas that would make my life even easier tho:

Perhaps a component pooling service or at least common components like 0805 resistors /caps etc.

Greater selection of the AVR range still only common parts just extended a little eg. the Mega169 with its integrated LCD controller. TQFP versions would be great as this is all I tend to work with, especially now I have a reliable source of cheap PCB's :)

BTW I love the fact I can pay with paypal. just another thing that makes dealing with sparkfun so easy.

Nick
By meander
i agree with the paypal goodness. that way i use the money in my checking account and thats where i put it all so it is soooo much easier and funner for me to do it like that as opposed to writing checks everywhere. also ive placed my 4th order already and im still very happy with everythign!
By sparky
Component pooling. Interesting.

I had no idea PayPal was so big with customers. We want to accept payment any way we can. Amex and Disc are the same way...

Thanks for the feedback!

-Nathan
By pittuck
same here - some res bags (5/10/20 per bag), plus some presets would be great.

what would also be good is if you can offer SMT kits, just a bunch of SMT components in a bag (caps, resistors, a crystal or 2, max232, logics etc.) perhaps with a option of a max232 level shifter pcb for people to play with....
By nall
pittuck wrote:what would also be good is if you can offer SMT kits, just a bunch of SMT components in a bag (caps, resistors, a crystal or 2, max232, logics etc.) perhaps with a option of a max232 level shifter pcb for people to play with....
i agree with this. it would be great to buy a cheap kit to help practice soldering SMT stuff.
By farmcessna
I agree, very fast service and I too like using paypal. not haveing to relist my credit card with yet another company. And of course all the neat stuff that can be difficult to find
By TSPRAP
When I order online a factor that will change my mind on actually purchasing from a site is if they accept PayPal. I've already ordered from Spark Fun (Parts+meter) once and am very happy with their service. I want to order a custom PCB so bad but I'm still thinking of a PCB required project :wink: .

EDIT: SMD parts pooling would be a real nice service and the ATmega169 is a real capable µC on the AVR side (I like the LCD controller the best).