SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions &/or issues related to products in the Imaging category should be posted in this forum.
User avatar
By capnzee2
I seem to have received a bad Pi Camera v2.1, SKU DEV-14028.
It has an internal problem.
Symptoms are: when trying to access the camera with raspistill always get these error messages:
Code: Select all
mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates
Possible causes/solutions found on-line are
  • "enable the camera in /boot/config.txt" (done that)
    "Increase the GPU memory in /boot/config.txt" (done that)
    "Upgrade to the latest version of Raspbian" (done that)
    "Double check the cables" (Done that 4 times)
    "make sure another program isn't using the camera module" (done that)
    "The camera module has an internal problem. replace it"
The final possibility that the module is bad is the only one left. It has been confirmed by trying the camera module connected to two different raspberry Pi's and cables, both of which work correctly with my older v1.3 Pi camera, but swapping in the new camera gives the above errors. The only difference is the camera module.

After wasting several hours on this I'm convinced it's a bad camera. Anything else I should check?
User avatar
By TS-Chris
Hello capnzee2, and thanks for using the forums.

Yes, that does sound like a bad module and we can help you with this.

If you purchased this directly from us, please fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to start the return/RMA process. Don't forget to enter your SparkFun order or invoice number in the form and if you know the part number, enter that as well. In the Why do you want an RMA? section, enter the URL for this forum post so the returns processor can see what troubleshooting steps have been taken.

If you purchased the part from a distributor of ours, you will need to contact them for a replacement.