SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By DrProton
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a gift for my Dad. He's into electronics and model trains and can do some simple (basic) programming. What I'd like to get him is a small PLC type device to control his train layout with. It should 8+ digital I/O (small relay outputs would be ideal), and at least 2 PWM outputs. Something based on a high-level programming language basic-like language would be ideal. Also something not too expensive. What products out there might fit the bill?

Thanks!
By Shifted
You might want to look at the DirectLogic PLC's, perhaps a DL105. I don't know if they have a model with PWM output though. The only one I know of that has a PWM output is an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1500, but they are $1000+.
By SOI_Sentinel
And industrial hardware also requires software to program. The DL105 is NOT a free SW environment IIRC.

Given he's into electronics, I'd consider an Arduino and a Protoshield. Then he can build his own interface electronics.
By wiml
The Arduino's programming environment is C-like, rather than BASIC-like, but it seems like a good fit otherwise, since it's so flexible. Maybe you could interface it with a Phidgets relay board? I'm surprised there isn't already a relay shield for the arduino.

You could get a BASIC Stamp and a relay board (Parallax even sells a PLC enclosure for stamps).

There are sometimes ads for inexpensive PLC or PLC-like controllers in the back of magazines— flipping through a recent CCInk I see an ad for an inexpensive PLC from tri-plc.com, which seems to be a ladder-logic simulator rather than running BASIC or another programming language.
By riden
A PICAXE based system might be another option. They are inexpensive and have a BASIC like syntax. The development environment is free.
By GTBecker
DrProton wrote:... electronics and model trains and can do some simple (basic) programming...
Once he has control of his layout, give him a front end to drive!

http://www.raildriver.com/