SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Morrog
Is there any way to control control the pins on a serial port (9-pin) from software? I'd like to hook up some LEDs to the pins and control each seperately. That would make things really simple, rather than having to hook up a PIC and sending it data to decipher to control the LEDs, I can just use software to control each serial pin and hook LEDs straight up (with resistors of course).
By oPossum
You can control TxD (3), DTR (4) and RTS (7). Pin 5 is ground, all the others are inputs.

For Windows use the EscapeCommFunction() API call, for Linux/MacOS I think it is IoCtl().
By Morrog
Hmm yeah only 3 pins. I've decided to use parallel instead, since I'd like about 8 pins. I hooked the port up to my multimeter to do some voltage tests and it seems this will be a tad bit trickier than I'd like. Apparently when the data bit is 0 the voltage is 4.3. When the data bit is 1, the voltage is 4.4. Now this is only on data line 1 (pin 2 and pin 18[gnd]).

Not being too familiar/experienced with electrical engineering: How would I block the current when it isn't over 4.3voltages?
By Morrog
Actually, the strange voltages only occur when the Control bits are all 1. When they're all 0 the voltage is always 0 (no matter what data is). Something must be wrong somewhere ...
By Kuroi Kenjin
Pin1 is the strobe signal, AKA data latch. I don't know a heck of a lot about LPT port, since I'd just go with the PIC on the serial port.

I think the LPT port is a standard 0V @ 0, 5V @ 1 I/O. Did you check to make sure you were outputting data (instead of inputting with the port floating high)? 4.4 and 4.3 are essentially the same voltage.

I did a quick google search. These might help:
http://engr.nmsu.edu/~etti/fall96/compu ... inter.html
http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm
By OldCow
To change the printer (parallel) port output Data (pins 2 to 9),
you have to tell Windows not to mess around with it. Otherwise
it may try to use it periodically and your settings disappear.
I think that is why you read 4.4V when you set it to 0.

The printer (parallel) port of a PC has the following pin out:
(Note that if you use a "printer cable", the connector at the
other end has 36 pins and the pinout is different.)

1: -Strobe (pulse output)
2 to 9: Data Bit 0 to 7 (output)
10: -Acknowledge (input)
11: Busy (input)
12: Out of paper (input)
13: Selected (input)
14: -Auto feed (output)
15: -Error (input)
16: -Initialize (output)
17: -Select (output)
18 to 25: Ground
By Morrog
I've checked again and again to be sure I'm hooking in to pin2 and pin 18, so I'm not sure why it stays at 0 when it should go up to 5, or why in bi-directional mode it goes from 4.3 to 4.4.
To change the printer (parallel) port output Data (pins 2 to 9),
you have to tell Windows not to mess around with it.
How do I tell Windows not to mess around with it?

I'm using the inpout32.dll method to write directly to address 0x378 (data) and 0x37A (control). Windows XP SP2.
By Kuroi Kenjin
I think that maybe the issue... starting with win XP (or even ME), microsoft no longer allows direct memory/IO access considering it a security hole. The closest you can get to now, is by using the Win32 API and use CreateFile() opening the file "LPT1" (or whatever number LPT it is). I do know that they put in the SerialPort into the .net framework (2.0 and 3.0), but I don't know if LPT support is in either of those.
By Morrog
That's why I'm using inpout32.dll. It loads a ring0 driver so it can write and read to memory.

Controlling the port software side obviously works, because I can get that 4.3 to 4.4 voltage change on the port. Something else must be amiss.