Tsunami Wav Player - noise issue

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.

Moderator: phalanx

amongstmyselves

Tsunami Wav Player - noise issue

Post by amongstmyselves » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Howdy all,

The problem is that when a sample is played there is a background noise also. This noise is still heard for about 30 seconds after the sample has finished playing. This is something I had mentioned to Jamie the creator of the unit back a year or so (or two maybe) which I did resolve at the time but clearly the resolution was not completely fixed.

Quick background on the project. This is a large project which is using the Tsunami as a sample player controlled via a MIDI keyboard. The four stereo outputs have their own VCA modules which are controlled via individual stereo LFOs. The signal then gets mixed to another stereo VCA. This is followed by a stereo VCF module, Effects unit, valve distortion etc etc. A big project.

If I have the board simply connected to my audio system there is no noise when a sample is playing. But the instance that I connect it through a VCA or any other audio device on the same power supply the noise appears during playback. This noise comes out of all the Tsunami outputs regardless of where the played sample has been routed. Which makes the noise level quite loud. If I have the Tsunami connected to its own supply there isn't a problem. The noise is only present via other modules but it originates from the Tsunami ?

Here's a voice sample played along with the noise until it stops.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nzj5haa5fxfv ... 1.mp3?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve