SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
I've been using the Sparkfun AS7263 boards for building sensor systems Now I want to build my own because I'm getting into more substantial quantities, and I need to write the AS726X firmware into the flash chips (AT25SF041). Can someone who does this in bulk tell me how you do it?

I'm looking for hardware, software, things to watch out for, whether/how you test them after writing, etc.

There are USB writers, but I haven't found one that explicitly lists the flash chip that ams requires for the AS7263 sensor.

Thanks!
I'm only going to need a few hundred at a time. Is this a large enough quantity to get them preprogrammed?

I have looked on a couple vendor sites and googled a lot, and I can't find anyone who will admit to doing that. Can you tell me who you've seen offering this service?

Thanks!
The very first line on the product page for the AT25SF041 at Digikey
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/4824165
is:
This part can be programmed by Digi-Key; for details please contact our custom department at 1-800-344-4539 x5725 or custom.orders@digikey.com
So far I have not seen any information on how the AS726X chips are programmed, i.e. what is the nature of the firmware and the on chip processor? If you can post a link or two regarding that mysterious topic, lots of people would be interested. Or are you just duplicating the stock memory chip?
Thanks for your response. I have seen that on a few items at Digikey, but I guess I missed it this time.

The AS726X sensors need firmware to boot up and handle commands. The manufacturer, ams, provides firmware and some documentation for normal uses of the AS7263 sensors at https://ams.com/as7263#tab/tools and I don't have any need to build my own so I plan to use the ams firmware. I would love to dig into how the sensor performs its function; it's a fascinating chip. I just don't have time right now.

The AT25SF041 uses SPI, so I'm assuming that's how they're programmed. There is a function for telling the chip (via UART or I2C) to reprogram the flash memory, but the flash has to be pre-programmed so the chip can boot and accept that command. As far as I can tell, anyway.