SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By sbonkosk
jremington wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:13 pm Why would you want to program the board?

Microprocessors found on boards like that are often programmable only one time (OTP).
I'd like to know how to program the board because it would allow for just that one board to handle all bluetooth plus logic involved for a project so I wouldnt have to use an Arduino or something additional then.

Like this one. It has a 8051 microprocessor on it that can be programmed, but how?

http://www.ehonglink.com/en/h-pd-15.html#_pp=118_1036
By jremington
To program any micro, you must have the appropriate programming interface.

You also need the original source code for a particular module, so you don't have to recreate all of it to have the original functionality, as well as the appropriate IDE.

Since you won't ever get the source for the module you linked, start with an open source radio module, like those found at http://www.anarduino.com/miniwireless/
By n1ist
Some Bluetooth (or WiFi or ZigBee) modules are not intended to be user-programmed; they come preprogrammed with a processor that has a serial interface of some sort, and only intend you to use it as a peripheral. The one you mentioned is in this category. Others (ie. ones based on the Nordic or Silicon Labs Gecko family) are designed to let the user program run on the same processor. They come with an API for interacting with the bluetooth stack and you program these with the software from the module vendor and a programmer. They require more work since the user program has to coexist with the radio stack and interact with it.

/mike
By sbonkosk
n1ist wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:39 am Some Bluetooth (or WiFi or ZigBee) modules are not intended to be user-programmed; they come preprogrammed with a processor that has a serial interface of some sort, and only intend you to use it as a peripheral. The one you mentioned is in this category. Others (ie. ones based on the Nordic or Silicon Labs Gecko family) are designed to let the user program run on the same processor. They come with an API for interacting with the bluetooth stack and you program these with the software from the module vendor and a programmer. They require more work since the user program has to coexist with the radio stack and interact with it.

/mike
I guess I still don't quite get it. For example, take this chip:

http://www.ehonglink.com/en/h-pd-15.html#_pp=118_1036

At the bottom they show a development board for the chip, which has a button, LED, and Buzzer. For me, it seems like the intention of a board like this would be for a developer to upload programs to so they could turn the LED on when the button is pressed or turn the LED on when a device is connected. With that dev board, how could a connected device respond to a button press? It seems like the only way to trigger an event in a connected device when I click that button is I have to program the chip itself to send a message or something to connected devices whenever that PIO is set HIGH/LOW. But I don't understand how I could hook up my computer to that chip and program it. Is it through UART? SPI? What software do I need on my computer to accomplish this?
By jremington
For the Ehong module you will need the:
EH-MEVK-MC10-002 is the development evaluation board, providing the complete interface features of EH-MC10.
The Quick Start Guide guides you to launch and run the modules within minutes to test and evaluate the modules' performance.
You will also need the SDK installed on a PC. It may either come on a DVD with the development board, or downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.
By sbonkosk
jremington wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:02 pm For the Ehong module you will need the:
EH-MEVK-MC10-002 is the development evaluation board, providing the complete interface features of EH-MC10.
The Quick Start Guide guides you to launch and run the modules within minutes to test and evaluate the modules' performance.
You will also need the SDK installed on a PC. It may either come on a DVD with the development board, or downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.
Let’s say I’m able to find the software and get a program written. How would I actually burn the program to the chip? Is there specific software for that purpose as well?
By jremington
How would I actually burn the program to the chip?
All instructions, example code, software and the necessary interface would be included in the SDK and development board package. Consult the associated Quick Start guide. If you have ever used Arduino, program development and upload is basically the same process.