SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Creepy
Hey, still a n00b with n00b questions! yay

Have a SparkFun project. The board has two buttons on it.
I want to mount the board into an enclosure, with the front panel of the enclosure accessing the buttons.
The board can't reasonably be mounted at the front with the board exposed to access the buttons, so I believe I need to mount the buttons to the front panel and wire them to the board.

Do I:
- Cut the buttons off and solder in wires to connect to the buttons I want to use?
- Solder wires to connect to the buttons I want to use in parallel with the existing buttons on the board?
- Throw my hands up and walk away?
- Re-think my question so it makes more sense?

Also, could you do this with the Micro-SDCard bit?

Ref: Sparkfun Robertsonics Tsunami Super WAV Trigger - ultimately thinking I want to mount 2 (more?) of these into a rackmount enclosure with one power supply and have access to SDCard slot, [User] & [Reset] buttons on the front panel, probably just use fibre optic/lens configuration for Status LED, and wire the MIDI In and Audio Outs on the back panel.

"There are no stupid questions - just stupid people" - Mr Garrison
By robertsonics
Tsunami was designed to accommodate mounting perpendicular to a front panel. If you examine the board, you will see that there are pads to add the following right-angle pushbuttons:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10791

With these buttons installed, they along with the microSD card, LED and USB power connector are all accessible along one edge.
By Creepy
Thank you for such a quick response!
Okay, I completely missed that about the right-angle pushbuttons in the Hookup Guide. Apologies.

Your design is coming across as more freakin bril than previously assumed.
By n1ist
To answer the first question:
- You can remove the buttons and connect new ones in their place (as long as they have the same or a compatible contact arrangement ie. both normally open, or use a form-c instead of NO or NC)
- If the buttons are normally open, you can connect the new ones in parallel. Pressing either the new one or the old one will have the same effect
- If the buttons are normally closed, you would need to connect the new ones in series. This would likely require cutting some traces on the board.
/mike