SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By acercomputer
How do I flash the keypad so that I can change the layout of the keys?
People put the firmware up but don't explain what I need to do to flash it ... it was recommended by
Sparkfun staff that I physically change the keypad by changing the pins on the keypad.

The president of the company Nathan Seidle wrote the code for the keypad .. but doesn't explain how to modify the firmware but provides the code to do so. Doesn't make sense to me .. been purchasing from Sparkfun now for many years ... this the first support call I never got an answer to my question.

Any help would be appreciated
By n1ist
It's a SparkX product; as it says on the product page, " Live technical support is not available for SparkX products."

There are two ways to do what you want:
- Modify the firmware on the Tiny84. Change the Keys array to change what character gets sent back for each keystroke. It looks like the Arduino environment can be used to program it but I have no experience using it with a Tiny.

- Leave the firmware as-is and remap the character returned by wire.read() in your application. For example, to swap '1' with '2', when wire.read() returns a '1', do the action that should happen when '2' is pressed, or replace the '1' in the variable with '2'.

In order to change the keycaps, you will have to cut the heat-staked pins that hold the bezel to the keypad's PCB, remove it, move the keycaps around, and then glue the bezel back to the PCB.

/mike