SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By akamediasystem
Hi, I'm really loving Qwiic, what a great idea!

I'm having trouble, though, when I try to use the https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14569 MLX90632 non-contact thermal sensor. I can get the examples to work fine, but trying to use the sensor with any kind of display results in a behavior wherein the display blanks out at regular intervals.

When using the sensor with a TinyScreen+ (which has an SPI-addressable OLED screen), the sensor works but the screen blinks.

When using the sensor with the Serial 7-Segment display, the display blinks at the same regular rate. (But the Serial console shows that I'm getting good temperature readings - and removing all Serial stuff from the sketch doesn't fix the blinking issue)

When using the sensor with a Teensy LC and a commodity 4-digit 7-segment display (via the Sparkfun SevSeg library), I see the same blinking. (But the Serial console shows that I'm getting good temperature readings - and removing all Serial stuff from the sketch doesn't fix the blinking issue)

Looking at the power lines, I don't see any brownouts or significant dips on the rails - similarly, when I swap out the MLX90632 for a MLX90620 (16x4 pixel i2c thermal camera) or a GRID-EYE (8x8 pixel i2c thermal camera), I don't see the same display issues.

I've tried to dig through the MLX90632 library by hand and determine where an errant delay() call or other interruption might occur, but I haven't been able to find anything the resolves the issue.

I'm sure I've missed something, or omitted a crucial detail, so my apologies if there's a simple fix. Any help or insight you could share would be appreciated!

AKA