SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mmesford
I've just soldered up an ESP8266 wifi shield and it seems to be working but not connecting. I'm getting the message "Error connecting, Error: -3" I've tried doing a text search in the code on GitHub with no luck. Is there a list of error codes somewhere? I suspect the problem is that I'm trying to connect to an open network, i.e. no password. I've tried setting the password string to nothing and to the word "null" and to a string of spaces, all with the same result. Any ideas?
By paulvha
you could just call connect(ssid), the driver will translate that into connect(ssid,""):. Actually you are getting an ESP8266_RSP_FAIL. Are you sure the SSID is being received by the ESP8266. try to use https://github.com/paulvha/PVH_ESP8266_ ... no_Library. in the examples there is a subroutine " checkssid" which will check for the SSID in reach.
regards,
Paul
By mmesford
Thanks paulvha. I realized I had an upper case letter in my ssid and when I fixed that and set the pw string to null it worked. Glad to know there’s an improved library too.

Mike