SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By GregLloyd
Hi Folks, I am seeking some help around the Sparkfun ESP8255 WiFi shield. I purchased two of these recently and have dutifully soldered on the header pins suitable for attaching an Arduino. I have mounted both boards on an Arduino Uno and uploaded and run the ESP8266 demo sketch from the ESP8266 Sparkfun library. Edited the sketch for my home router with password and the sketches completed normally, results returning to the serial monitor (both Arduino IDE and Putty) as expected. I then edited the sketch and put in a new network SSID and password, compiled and uploaded to the Arduino but to my surprise the ESP8266 just kept connecting to the original home network. After much trawling I found some advice on one of the threads on this forum suggesting that I short out the RST breakout to ground. This certainly does appear to make the ESP8266 shield reset... the blue LED blanks out and then starts winking, or sometimes stays out or most often then reconnects to the original home router. Funnily enough, of my two ESP8266 shields, I did manage to load the new sketch onto one (somehow) and it does connect to the new AP. However, my second board, no matter what combinations I have tried, stubbornly insists one connecting only to the original home network. This is an exasperating position to be in and I would be very grateful indeed if some one would educate me on (1) how to reset the ESP8266 WiFi shield properly and/or (2) how to get the shield to read a new sketch loaded onto the Arduino.
Notes:
I have not been able to contact the ESP8266 WiFi shield via UART in an attempt to issue it AT commands. Switch has been on HW hardware during these attempts and I have been using the Arduino USB to try and accomplish this. Perhaps I need to connect directly to the shield?
I have had the shield switched to SW software when loading the new Arduino sketches as advised
Arduino is a DFRduino Uno V3.0 R3 from DFRobot

Kind regards,

Greg Lloyd
By paulvha
I have done a lot of work on the shield ESP8266 and extended the original driver. This driver is posted at https://github.com/paulvha/PVH_ESP8266_ ... no_Library. It will support the standard samples + extended new samples. One of the extended features is that the ESP8266 supports a current setting (CUR) and default setting (DEF). During startup it will use the stored default setting if not overruled and that might be your issue.

You have not shared to what pins you have connected your ESP8266. I would advice to use the SoftSerial and read the documents that are included in the extra directory.

Paul
Hi Greg,

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 R3 + Sparkfun ESP8266 WiFi Shield (both Brand new)
I loaded your library from https://github.com/paulvha/PVH_ESP8266_ ... no_Library and trying to run one of your examples. For some reason the SW is stuck in the initialize state (esp8266.begin())
I see the shield Rx is getting the RS232 signals (using a scope) but the shield doesn't reply.

Did you ever try this combination (Mega R3 + WiFi Shield)?

Thanks,

Udi