SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By jparker
Does the Qwiic OpenLog ship with the OpenLog firmware?

Reading the product description makes it a little unclear. It states that you can upgrade the firmware as features are added. And then says "Each OpenLog ships with the Uno serial bootloader".

Does it ship with just the serial bootloader, or does it ship with OpenLog firmware that includes the serial bootloader?

Basically, I powered it with 3.3V and was expecting the "PWR" LED to turn on, which it did not. I'm trying to figure out if there is an issue with the board, or if I'm supposed to load software to it first.

Thanks!
By jremington
The product page and examples seem very clear -- the product is shipped with OpenLog firmware loaded. Did you connect the grounds?

It would be best if you downloaded the OpenLog library, connected the OpenLog as instructed to a 3.3V Uno or Redboard and then try out Example 1.
By jparker
Thanks for responding. I kind of figured that it shipped with the OpenLog firmware. But when it didn't work, I thought that I might have figured wrong.

I soldered a header onto the 0.1" pins for "GND", "3V3", "SDA", and "SCL". I am not using a Qwiic cable. The "3V3" is connected to the 3.3V pin of an Arduino and the "GND" is connected to the GND pin of the same Arduino. I measure across the pins on the OpenLog and read 3.29V. I have also connected the SDA and SCL pins from the Arduino to the OpenLog.

When I run the Example1_WritingLog, the serial monitor prints:

OpenLog Write File Test
This goes to the terminal
Done!

But there is never a PWR light and the STAT never flashes, and nothing is recorded to the SD card. I have tried with multiple SD cards.
By jremington
I have also connected the SDA and SCL pins from the Arduino
If this is a 5V Arduino, you may have damaged the logger module, as those pins should never be exposed to a voltage higher than 3.3V. Check the voltages on the SDA and SCL pins and report back.

SparkFun appears to have failed miserably in providing a decent "Getting Started" guide.