SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By tsunami
Hello,

Usually I find my way in looking solved topics but not this time.
My problem is that I connected a tsunami board(3.3V) to a MEGA2560 ECU(5V).
I use the UART connection of both and used an logic level converter for Tx and Rx lignes. Of course Rx / Tx of ECU and Tsunami are swap together.
When the ECU (MEGA2560) send a message, all happens fine. I checked with a digital oscilloscope, the tsunami answer right as descibe in the spec. But when the message go back to the ECU throught the logic level converter something strange happens. It's like if LOW level haven't enough power to stay at GND. On the top of my picture you can show falling edge but LOW level don't stay. FYI, on the bottom of the pic, it's that I mesure before the logic level converter just at the output of the Tsunmai Board.

As you can imagine, I will appreciate any idea. :)
By robertsonics
If it helps, you shouldn't need to convert the level of the Tsunami TX (3.3V) going to the the ECU. It will see the 3.3V as a logic high.
By tsunami
Thanks for your reply
... and much more if it's the creator team

So I know we can connect directly together the 2 boards.Normaly, it will work only for a "maker" uses.
If you have a look on the 2 datasheets, it's out of spec:
  • ATMEGA2560 / electrical Characteristics / V_IH (min) = 0.6 * VDC (@ VDC = 2.4-5.5V) -> 3V
  • SAM S70 / Electrical Characteristics / V_OH (min for GPIO: V_DDIO-0.4 -> 2.9V
Also it's without considering that during power-on / off ATMEGA2560 could put this line to 5V.

It will be realy pity to omit electrical adaptations for a such nice board.