SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By 2018PrattxNasa
Hello all, my team and I are having several issues with the myoware muscle sensor.

Running a read analog sample code, we see a inconstant data.

Using oneMyoware EMG sensor, on the bicep, we see activity is being recorded without muscle being contracted.
The SIG LED incosistantaly lighting up on and off.
There sometimes seems to be a huge delay with arduino serial plotter, recording muscle contraction.
-
I currently have a Myoware muscle sensor kit, (KIT-14409), and two Myoware sensors (SEN-13723)
My team and I are using an Lilypad Arduino Simple Board, wired to a USB FTDI breaker.
The FTDI breaker is powering a mini breadboard, which is powering both the Lilypad and Myoware sensor. The myoware sensor has its SIG output connected to one of the analog ports on the Lilypad.

---
We are running sample code, “Read Analog” in Arduino.

*/

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
// initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
Serial.begin(9600);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
// read the input on analog pin 0:
int sensorValue = analogRead(A5);
// print out the value you read:
Serial.println(sensorValue);
delay(1); // delay in between reads for stability
}
By AdvancerTechnologies
Hi - can you post some pictures of your setup? It's usually easier to troubleshoot with pictures.

Are you using the cable shield with external cables?

Is the FTDI breakout connected to a desktop or laptop?

Cheers,
Brian
By 2018PrattxNasa
Hi Brian, thanks for the reply,

We tried using the cable shield but it isn't stable as using the electrodes on the sensor.
The LED Shield works the best, but tends to not work well for picking up partial contractions
Also the FTDI breakout is connected to a laptop. Here is an image of one of our setups, and I've included a video as well.
Let me know if you have any trouble viewing either of them.

Image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LZK7G7 ... sp=sharing

Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17b3d6j ... sp=sharing

Thank you,
By AdvancerTechnologies
Thanks for the video and more information. I noticed in the video that you are not connecting the reference electrode. That is very likely the cause of your issues.
By CarolDiazBaca
Hello I´m trying to use CR2032 coin cell batteries to power the MyoWare Muscle Sensor. The coin cell batteries are connected in parallel for extended capacity at a nominal 3.0V with MyoWarePowerShield. Connecting the MyoWare Muscle Sensor to battery power the signal became a step, fluctuation betewn max a min values of the sensors.

If I use the power suply of the arduino 3,3V output the sensor work prefectly