SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Bregar65
Ladies or Gentlemen,
I have a query for anyone with a better knowledge of electronics than me. I currently use an interface and software to access crash data from automotive ACM's (Airbag Control Modules).

The hardware kit includes various adapters for connecting the ACM's to the interface, which is connected to a laptop via a USB cable as well.
This is all fine and dandy with the majority of modules however there are certain vehicles that will only allow access via the vehicles DLC (OBDII connector). In other words with the module still connected in the vehicle.

This is where my issue is and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

The vehicles I'm referring to are normally extensively damaged(major collision damaged)and this is not possible.

What I am trying to find out is there any type of interface, like the type marketed by Sparkfun, that would allow me to remove the module from the damaged vehicle and access the data using it??

I am quite capable of identifying the CAN wiring and the appropriate terminals on the modules, along with being able to power them up in the same way, but I need some way of being able to download the data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance ;)