SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By bcalla
Hi I just received my Tsunami and was able to get the demonstration working immediately. I also downloaded a Mellotron demo to test it with a MIDI keyboard and that worked, too.

So now I want to test the ability to change MIDI channel to get different WAVs to play from the same key (following the Mellotron example, maybe violin on channel 1, flute on channel 2, etc.). I found a pdf in another message that shows how to number WAV files to do this (essentially adding 128 to each key as you move through the channels), but I could not make this work. I'm assuming that I need to do something in the configuration utility, but there are very few options on the MIDI screen and I don't see how any of them would help.

Also, the manual shows a naming convention for WAV files - a 3-digit number followed by an underscore, then either S or L, then an output number.

So my questions are:
1. How do I configure Tsunami to choose different WAVs depending on MIDI channel?
2. Can the leading number in the naming scheme go to 4 digits? This would be needed to reach the upper MIDI channels.
3. Does the S-single / L-loop parameter work with MIDI? I tried adding "L" to my file names after the underscore and they still only played once. Note that I didn't specify an output number, so maybe my file name was incomplete.

Thanks!
By robertsonics
1. Tsunami can be set to respond to either one particular MIDI channel or all midi MIDI channels (Omni) but there is currently no way assign individual notes to specific channels. Within a MIDI channel, you can switch MIDI banks using either a trigger function or MIDI Program Change messages, and this will shift all the notes to a block of 128 tracks.

2. The leading number can go to 4 digits, but because of the way long filenames are handled in FAT, you will lose the output designator if you need to map the MIDI note to a different output.

3. The S and L parameters only work with MIDI, not when the track is started with a trigger or serial command, since those have their own way of specifying this parameter.

Hope this helps.