SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By MollArk
I got my self a Wav Trigger v11, it,s great but I can't upgrade the firmware!! I put the switch in load position , I have one usb to ttl converter FTDI232, and the software get a "com 9" response but it says "can't connect" I just wonder What to do?
By MollArk
Thank you for your rapid response. Yes I have tried to restart it and I am powering the wav trigger by the FTDI232 and have bridged the 5 V to serial
By robertsonics
The next step would be to check whether your serial connection is working. Download the Example Remote Control Utility and see if it will communicate with the WAV Trigger with the switch in the run position.
By MollArk
Well I have tried that too, the leds on the FDTI is blinking when I press the get info button but nothing else happens. I have also checked the connections and got Rx--Tx and Tx--Rx Gnd--Gnd and Vcc--Vcc. The board works with MIDI. And the FTDI interface is new
By robertsonics
MIDI working only requires sending data TO the WAV Trigger, whereas the "Get info" button on the Remote Control app requires also getting data FROM the WAV Trigger. The firmware update process also requires communication in both directions. Based on your symptoms, either the WAV Trigger TX isn't transmitting or the FTDI RX isn't receiving. Could be either one. Do you have a way to test the FTDI independently of the WAV Trigger?

Or it could be your connection. Any possibility you have a bad connection between the WAV Trigger TX and the FTDI RX? Is it a wire?

The WAV Trigger TX pin comes directly from the processor. You could visually inspect for a bad solder connection either on the CPU pin (see the schematic) or the serial connector.
By MollArk
Thank you again, I am using a ribbon cable, (the same as I use for pic programming) I don't know any other way to test the FTDI, but I am a gonna try to figure something out, I am gonna inspect the board too. Is there any other way I could check what version of firmware that is installed ?
By MollArk
Well I don't think you have to try to solve this problem for me, the wav trigger died this night, I have no clue what happened, I took out the sd card and downloaded some samples and when I put back the sd card it just didn't start. I am very thankful for your your helpfulness.
Bo
By MollArk
OK I now got 2 wav triggers I was sure that the first one died when it suddenly quit blinking when I started it, without the sd card it looked normal but as soon as it had the sd card it was like dead I erased the sd card and fast formatted it, it looked normal in windows and tried again, nothing.. I loved this gadget so I ordered a new one!!! and it came today, I put in the sd card and it also died, now I took out the card and unchecked "fast format" and waited the 5 min it takes to format, and the new one loaded the waves and worked sooo fine,again I connected the "old" wav trigger and it worked too.
Back to the first problem I had, I found an other FTDI in a drawer and it WORKED!!! The new one must have something wrong with it. So now I have loaded the latest firmware in both wav triggers !!
I think I am gonna make a drum machine with one and the other one I already use as a sampler in the synth I am building.
Thank you RobertSonics for your input!!