SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By goballstate
Hey, can someone tell me what the voltage and total current draw are for the fairy lights? They work great on the batteries, but I would like to turn them on and off using a micro, and need to know what the parameters are. Thank you.
By goballstate
OK, I'm still hoping to know what the power consumption is for these LEDs, but I've got a fun little project for them. Seems to be working, but I am currently using one 2n3904 per strip as I don't know how much current they consume, so I don't want to put two or more per transistor (which works, but seems to be a hair dimmer, so maybe 2 is too many?). I'll post my work to the projects forum, it's kinda cool to control these little lights via a micro.

Right now, I've got a 3v on the strips, but am curious to know how tolerant they are to more voltage? Also, using a transistor per strip allows a lot of customization, but is overkill honestly. If someone has a datasheet or something, that would help.
By Valen
You should have a multimeter anyway as part of your toolset. Go measure it.
By paulvha
There are MANY, MANY different Fairy lights in the world. They differ voltage and power consumption. I expect the only way to find out the one you have is to connect a DC (Milli) ampere meter serial between the lights and supply. Nearly every (cheap) general purpose multimeter could do the job. It is about the current (mA) , the voltage (3V in your case) should not be changed without a applying a resistor in serial. And for the right resistor to apply, you need to know the current anyway.